Chapter Twenty Seven

We both froze. Aaron mumbled something incoherent. I leaned up and asked quietly,

"What was that?"

Lifting his head, he veered his glance towards the door with annoyance as he repeated his words.

"To hell with them. They'll go away eventually."

I contained my mirth at his words while quickly easing away from him and snuggling deeper into the bed.

"They'll move faster if you send them away." I retorted with a playful smile. Narrowing his eyes at me in tease, Aaron stood to his feet at the same time another pounding knock ensued.

"Alright, good god." He muttered towards the knocking with a scowl as he wiped an exasperated hand through his messed-up dark hair. Turning back to me, he suddenly leaned back over the bed and pressed a quick kiss to my mouth.

"Don't even think about moving, hmm?" He said with a soft smile. I snickered and pulled his blanket up around me.

"Better be quick then." I answered with a wink. He grinned and cast me a coy look before leaving the room, striding down the stairs to answer the door.

I jumped out of his bed to dash towards the stair rail. Peering over into the lower landing, I watched as Aaron opened the door without donning his shirt beforehand. He was still covered in a fine sheen of sweat from our romp on his bed and his hair was still blessedly damp from the rain, making him appear every bit a mystical sex god....at least to me anyway.

Oh, but what terrible timing lovers always seem to possess...

To my horror, none other then Lord John stood on the other side of the door.

His eyes rounded at the sight of Aaron.

"Er--"

"Lord John...good day." Aaron fumbled with a mirrored look of what-the-fuck-are-you-doing.

"Yes...very good day apparently. Where is Charlotte? I've come to say goodbye before leaving town."

...Oh...oh no...

Aaron suddenly kicked my dress with his feet to be shielded behind the open door as he answered back,

"Charlotte?"

"Yes, Charlotte. Your sister. Where is she?" Lord John quipped with annoyance laced inside his austere voice. Aaron laughed lightly, leaning against the door with his arms crossed over his tanned chest as he replied,

"I have no idea. Sisters...haha...you know...foolish...er...unpredictable creatures...sisters are."

Lord John's eyes narrowed as one arrogant brow lifted.

"But you're her brother. How do you not know where she is?" He countered in a dubious tone. Aaron rubbed a hand on the back of his neck before shrugging.

John frowned at his lack of answers. He took a glance over Aaron's shoulder then, scanning the inside of the entryway with an innate searching curiosity.

Aaron sidestepped as he remarked,

"I shall tell her you came by when I see her. Alright then, good afternoon." He went to close the door, however John's hand was suddenly on the frame, halting it mid close. Piercing Aaron with his bright blue gaze, he murmured in a low voice,

"One minute if you please, Mr. Starling. I would also like to extend my felicitous congratulations to you."

Aaron's brows furrowed as he gazed back at the dandy lord.

"What are you talking about?" He asked quietly. John smiled, yet the expression was left coldly calculating inside his eyes.

"For your incredible success last night at the charity ball. Both with your art and your sister. When I return, I intend on seeking her hand in marriage."

"Marriage?...You want to marry...my sister? Charlotte? You want to marry...?" Aaron stammered out in shock, "That's...that's quite soon, don't you think?"

"Of course not. When a man knows what he wants he goes after it. Now then, until a fortnight. Good afternoon, Mr. Starling." With a polite tip of his hat, John slid his gaze away from Aaron back to the entryway once more before turning and leaving.

My heart was pounding inside my chest as Aaron closed the door. I crawled back into the bed dejectedly and buried my face into the pillows while anxiety engulfed me. Reality felt like a frigid shower cascading down upon my shoulders like a dousing freeze.

Once again, I found myself regretting ever entering Aaron's life. This was turning into a messy ordeal which I already knew the outcome.

But I knew what I had to do, even if it was the last thing I ever wanted.

In order to prevent Aaron from being killed...I needed to eliminate the common denominator; me.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everybody! (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

I know this was a short chapter, but I'll be posting more soon! The rest of the book is entirely plotted out and ready to go, so stay tuned for more!

How are you enjoying the story so far?

Any thoughts on our protagonists or antagonist?

🌹Thank you so much for reading!🌹