40. Orla

"I called ahead," Anna said as they exited the vehicle. "We can take her straight up to see Fiona."

Sorah was vaguely aware of the conversation around her as she nestled in to Kensie's body, enjoying finally being close to her after such a long absence. She could hear her mother's voice, but it sounded distant. She felt detached from the world around her. She saw the castle walls, yet she didn't feel as though she could bring herself to interact.

Anna allowed them entry into Fiona's lab, startling her as they entered.

"Is she injured?"

"No." Kensie lowered Sorah into a chair, receiving a stern glare in protest. "It's alright. I'll be right here," she promised, before turning her attention to Fiona, and Anna who stood at her side. "Not exactly," she explained. Her heart pounded as she stared, her gaze shifting from one woman to the other. "There is... was, sufficient evidence to suggest that Sorah was pregnant. Her captor admitted to being able to hear two heart beats other than her own. This morning they were gone. I can't hear them, so I'm not sure if there was any truth to it or not," she admitted, knowing the potential extent of Alyssa's deception. "They had a serum, it counteracted Sorah's powers and made her virtually human. She suspects it's what has caused the pregnancy to..." she pursed her lips as her body trembled. Kensie clenched her eyes shut, fighting the tears that threatened to fall.

"Right. We need to take some blood, and I'll attempt to detect a heartbeat," Fiona began as she washed her hands in preparation. "Do we know how far along?"

Kensie opened her mouth to answer but was interrupted by Anna's voice. "Approximately eight weeks." The other women looked at her, their eyes narrowed. "I began to notice the changes not long after her coronation." Anna looked to Kensie. "Does that seem accurate? Do we know when her last period occurred?"

Kensie nodded. "Ten weeks ago."

As Fiona prepared the equipment needed to take the blood sample, Anna pulled Kensie to the side. "You may want to leave for this part."

Kensie cocked her head to the side. "I don't think I can leave her." She couldn't bring herself to leave Sorah, despite the fact that the vacuum pack of blood was not enough to make up for the five weeks of starvation her body endured.

"It's okay," Sorah said, staring into the floor. "I'll be okay for a moment." When Kensie hesitated, Sorah turned to Anna, acknowledging her properly for the first time since they found her. "Can you go with her?"

Anna nodded. "Come on," she gestured, escorting her out and into the hall.

"So how bad is it?" Anna asked once they were alone.

Kensie paced up and down the hall, her hands on her hips, her chest heaving as she struggled to calm her breathing. Tremors wracked her body. "How much did you hear?"

"Not much."

"She told her I was dead. Sorah grieved me for five weeks and it has driven her... I don't know... her mind is a mess." She paced a few steps and chewed at the inside of her cheek. "She was obsessed with Sorah. She was delusional, and she..." Kensie breathed in deep, trying to bury her anger. "I can't lose it over this because she needs me to be strong for her, so I can't react." She shook her head and clenched her eyes shut.

"She raped her," Anna said, her face void of any emotion. Kensie nodded and looked at the ceiling, hoping to hold in her tears. Anna clenched her jaw and dug her nails into her palm. "Where is she?"

"She's dead. Sorah took care of that."

"Good." Anna watched Kensie as she paced back and forth. "You're going to need to vent all of that rage at some point. Let me know if I can help. If you need someone to spar with, drink with, talk to, I'm here." Kensie nodded, sure she would eventually need to release her emotions at some point.