19. Home

Still too wired for sleep, Sorah agreed to a tour of the castle. Much of it was the same, but the highlight was on the third floor, which Anna became more animated, almost excited about sharing. It was a science lab, initiated after the siege to investigate the gods-born in an effort to help their people and fight the enemy.

The head scientist, Dr. Fiona Wyer had dropped to one knee the moment Anna introduced her. It still made Sorah uncomfortable.

"Fiona has several degrees in medicine and science. She leads two divisions, one medical, and one research," Anna said, with a slight glint of pride. A light tinge reddened Fiona's cheeks.

Sorah's gaze darted to Kensie. The two seemed close, at least enough for Anna to have used her name in such a familiar way. "That was..."

"Odd?"

"Yeah. Do you think maybe—"

"Potentially. It would be difficult for her, but not impossible."

"That's very impressive," Sorah said, covering her mouth with her hand as she stifled a yawn.

"Need me to carry you the rest of the way, Your Majesty?" Kensie's tone was low, her lips close to Sorah's ear.

"You may have to carry me straight to bed if you use my title like that again."

Kensie flashed a wicked grin. "Lady First, perhaps we could continue this tomorrow?" She tipped her head toward Sorah.

For a moment Anna's concentrated gaze softened as she took in Sorah's exhausted appearance. "Of course. I'll show you to your quarters."

The eastern wing of the castle stood tall atop the cliff face, allowing a magnificent view from the royal suite on the fifth floor. It was almost separate from the rest of the castle, with only one, heavily-guarded entry point. All five floors were restricted to members of the royal family and select staff, making it the most securely protected area of the entire castle, even more so since Isha's fall.

"You'll dine here when you don't have to entertain guests," Anna said as they walked, gesturing toward the private dining hall that opened out into a courtyard, a sparkling blue swimming pool in the centre. It was just as Sorah had seen it through Isha's eyes, but more modern. "Of course, I'll make sure that isn't very often," Anna added.

They took the five flights of stairs, passing members of the royal guard at every level. "This floor is for you and your children," Anna said, walking past the guards posted at the entrance. "There's a private lounge at the end of the hall and more rooms to the right, but these," she gestured toward a door to her left, "are your quarters."

The four Lionhearts who had followed them the entire way broke off into pairs. Two guarding the queen's suite, and another two toward the entrance to the level. "The royal suite isn't quite the same as you'd remember it," Anna said. "I had the entire floor refurbished a few years ago."

Kensie eyed the doors. "Glass?"

"Between the two panes of glass lies a sheet of dyatite. The glass is simply decorative."

Sorah's interest was piqued as she scanned the door. It appeared as no more than frosted glass, but in truth, it was reinforced with the strongest material on the planet: dyatite—steel blended with the blood of a gods-born during the forging process. "The walls too?"

"All of it." Anna turned, placing her hand over a screen set into the wall. It flashed green, and the doors slid open.

Kensie narrowed her eyes, taking a step closer to inspect the screen. "Will that be secure enough?"