12. Ready

Sunlight streamed through the study window, heating the black leather lounge beneath Sorah's legs as she relaxed into the cushion with a book in her hands. The tension had been thick during lunch, everyone dancing around the elephant in the room. They were waiting for her, while trying their best not to pressure.

Sorah stole a glance at Kensie on the opposite end of the couch, before flicking her gaze back to the words on the page in front of her. She absent-mindedly rubbed her bare foot against Kensie's calf where their legs lay intertwined.

Thoughts raced in Sorah's mind. Her chest tightened, constricting the words that were about to leave her lips. She couldn't—wouldn't—hold them at bay. As her lips parted, Kensie lifted her gaze from her book, anticipating her speech.

For a moment they sat fixed in time. Everything slowed. The particles of dust riding the sun as it streamed through the window distracted her for a moment, before she cleared her throat. "I think I'm ready."

Kensie snapped her book shut. "Are you sure?"

"No." Sorah gave a wry smile. She nodded. "Yes." A shuddered breath left Kensie's lips—it seemed she was just as nervous as Sorah. "Only if you're ready," Sorah said.

Resolve replaced the nervous look in Kensie's eyes. "I'm ready."

The cushion wrinkled beneath Sorah as she shifted onto her knees, shuffling forward to hover over Kensie. "There's something I want to do first, though." Her tone was a low murmur as her eyes shone. She held herself against the arm of the couch, close enough that they shared the same air.

"Is that right?"

"I want to go on a date with you. By tomorrow I'll be queen and we'll be married, and we haven't been on a single date."

Regret filled Kensie's eyes. "We can't go out. It's too much of a risk."

"We don't have to go far. We can just get ice cream and watch the sunset in your car or something. We'll stay close enough to signal for help if we need it." Sorah brought her lips to Kensie's ear and whispered, "I just want to be alone with you. Like, really alone."

For a moment Kensie closed her eyes. The rise and fall of her chest slowed, becoming measured and steady.

A victorious grin lifted the corner of Sorah's mouth. She'd learned enough in their short time together. Enough to know Kensie was struggling to regain control, something she knew hadn't been an issue before they met. All it took were the right words. The right tone.

"Kensie?" Sorah smiled, bringing her lips to Kensie's neck.

"It's not a good idea," Kensie said at last. "Your safety is—"

"I'm pretty sure a warrior with nearly a century of training can keep me safe. After all, you are highly skilled," Sorah murmured, before continuing the line of kisses across Kensie's skin.

"Sorah," Kensie warned.

"You're right." Sorah flashed an impish grin. "I'm sorry." In a whirl her back was against the couch. Kensie was on top of her, settled between her legs.

"You're not sorry at all," Kensie said. When she kissed Sorah it was fierce and left her breathless. "But, I suppose we can go out for a little while." Sorah grinned. "But," Kensie added. "We stay within range. Close enough for my family to hear the car horn if we signal."

"Thank you."

Kensie kissed Sorah again, this time with a little less heat than the first. "Come on Your Highness, let's take you on that date."