20. You're family

It was two o'clock before they had even left their room. Sorah hurried to dress while Kensie reclined on the bed, watching her with an amused grin. "You're the queen, you don't need to hurry." Her tone was a lazy drawl. "Besides, we're making good time, they'll talk amongst themselves while they wait."

Sorah frowned into the mirror, fixing her hair in place. "It's okay, I'm ready now."

Her heart drummed in her chest as they left their room, her Lionhearts following a few steps behind. This was it, her first official day as queen. Despite all the changes, she navigated the castle with ease as they exited the royal wing before following the pattern of lefts and rights in her memory.

They passed by unnoticed until one servant stopped. "Kensie? Is that you? I haven't seen you in so long!"

Sorah scowled at the young companion. She didn't know her from Isha's memories, but it wasn't a stretch to guess how she knew Kensie.

Kensie blinked, glancing sideways at Sorah before turning to the woman. "Heidi," she said, nodding in greeting.

Only a second later, Heidi launched into another barrage of questions. "When did you get back? Are you staying? Would you maybe like to... I mean, do you—"

Sorah made a pointed effort of clearing her throat. Heidi turned and as each second passed her expression faded, before she became ghost-white. She slammed her fist to her chest and took to one knee. "Your Majesty, I am so sorry. I heard you were here, but I—"

"You didn't notice because you were too busy flirting with my wife." Sorah finished, her tone bitter. "You may stand."

"I'm very sorry, Your Majesty. If I had known she was your... well your, you know."

"My Ahein Rah?" Sorah lifted a brow as Heidi nodded. "Well, now you do." She hid her smirk as she turned away, resuming her walk at a brisk pace. "Isha was right, that is a lot of fun." She flashed a wicked grin.

"Fun? Isha nearly tore the throat out of anyone that went near Daroah. It didn't seem as though she enjoyed it."

"Oh, she enjoyed it."

"So, you weren't jealous?" Kensie's confusion bled into Sorah's consciousness.

"Jealousy is for people who are afraid someone may take something that belongs to them. I know you are mine, just as Isha knew Daroah was hers. The fears I have of losing you aren't romantic ones."

Kensie clasped Sorah's wrist as she slowed to a stop. "But you were so angry. I felt it."

Sorah huffed a short laugh. "Oh, I was infuriated. I have no reason for jealousy but that doesn't mean I will tolerate anyone looking at my wife like that." She looked at Kensie with a devious grin. "The enjoyment comes from having the ability to make that known."

An equally devious smile seemed to simmer in Kensie's eyes before the corner of her mouth lifted. She pulled Sorah close, pressing their lips together as her hands began to wander. For a moment the kiss distracted Sorah. It muddied her mind until she almost forgot about the council who awaited their arrival until she sighed, pulling back far enough to peer into Kensie's sparkling eyes, so full of lust and love and need. "We should get going." Kensie's gaze darted from Sorah's eyes to her lips—a promise for laterbefore she nodded in defeat.

The great doors to the council room swung open as they approached, one guard on either side pushing on the solid wood. Only a partial council was present, and Sorah was glad for it. An entire room of nobles and representatives would have been too much for her first official day. Instead, they sat clustered at one end of the large, oak table. Two empty seats on the very end, with Anna to the left, and John to the right. Sorah scanned the other two guests. It made sense for Briggs to be present, as for the other—Doctor Fiona Wyer—she couldn't explain. They stood as she entered in the room, and remained standing until she took her place at the head of the table.