Chapter 11: Little Foxes

Start from the beginning

Even Tanjiro tried helping you with your struggles but you just could not get the hang of it for some reason. At a certain point Urokodaki shook his head and said as long as it works somehow, it will be fine. And you also started to accept it at that point. He even teased you once about it, in a very rude way which was a little uncommon for the man.

"[name]...I think you won't be able to perform the water breathing correctly", you stiffened at the man's strict tone and your face saddened a bit. Tanjiro wanted to comfort you, that was why he gently petted your back with a sympathetic look on his face.

"However, you might have just created your own breathing style", Urokodaki then continued and your head shot up excitedly, because you thought it was a compliment, "I would call it: the breath of a puddle."

Complete silence filled the next passing seconds. It seemed like even the birds stopped singing for a moment. You would have been able to hear a pin drop.

"Did you just make fun of me?", you asked ever so quietly, while a dark shadow fell upon your face. At the tone of your voice, Tanjiro stiffened. He knew it would start again...and it did.

"You are so...MEAN! Why would you say that?! I thought you were trying to cheer me up?! You completely ruined my mood! Thanks a lot, GRAMPS!!", you punctured your last words on purpose, to anger the man and hmphed while crossing your arms.

"Stop calling me Gramps already!", Urokodaki started chasing you around.

Tanjiro could only watch from the sidelines, as you two were bickering again. Even though it seemed like your trainer was mad at you, Tanjiro could never smell anger coming from said man when he was scolding you for your usual antics. He kind of seemed...happy in a way. But the boy knew better than to not keep that to himself. He did not want to get scolded too, because he knew Urokodaki would be a lot stricter on him. After all, Tanjiro never dared to tease the trainer like you did.

***

"I have nothing more to teach you", Urokodaki suddenly stated after a year at Mt. Sagiri. Tanjiro and you were both catching your breaths after another long day of training. You knew it was coming but it still surprised you. This year went by so fast! Maybe it was because you were constantly occupied with training that it flew by like a gust of wind.

"The rest is up to you! Whether or not you can improve to the next level", he stopped for a second and looked at the both of you. "Come with me!", he then said and you all started to walk further up the mountain. Snow started to fall again. The white coating the earth gave you a nostalgic feeling, which unsettled you a bit. You moved closer to Tanjiro, who looked at you softly.

Before he could strike a conversation to calm you down though, Urokodaki stopped and spoke up "If you can slice these boulders, I will allow you to enter the final selection."

Your head then shot up and indeed, there were now two large boulders standing almost menacingly in front of you, challenging you to try your hardest.

You gulped at their sight. After all, you knew that Tanjiro would be able to do it...but you...I'm not even able to do the water breathing correctly...how am I supposed to slice this thing?

"Is a boulder... something you slice?", Tanjiro muttered next to you and you turned to him, "Something you can slice with a sword?" He looked at you "I don't think we can do it. Our swords will snap! What do you think [name]?"

As you wanted to answer, your eyes drifted to Urokodaki's retreating back. Tanjiro took notice of that, spun around and shouted after him "Urokodaki-san, please wait! Urokodaki-san!" However, the man did not stop for him. You knew he would keep his word and not teach you anything from now on.