12.6 I Didn't Mean To

Iris

It has now been a week since we showed up with the book. I made up with mom and have been trying to maintain an open mind about the situation. If I were ever to be a mother, I can't begin to imagine how overprotective I would be. I would also kill Kristofer if he were to ever ignore me when I tell him about a weird dream.

I grab the spell book and decide to read a few out loud with Jesika who has been visiting every day after work. I try a few simple ones to see if I'm capable and quickly realize, my powers really are more than I can handle at the moment. I make an origami bird and make it fly before it goes up in flames. Then there is the water ball I accidentally drench Atlas with.

Whenever I try to do something small, I have the opposite effect. Thankfully it's mostly water abilities so there isn't much damage in the house. Just a lot of mopping and towels.

"Try to move that vase to the table." Jesika, who is sitting in one of the chairs, asks giddily.

"Okay but I don't think I can." I shrug and wave my hand towards the flower vase. The water and flower rise but the vase stays in place so I let the water down to refill the porcelain decor.

"Okay, um how can I make the vase lift with it?" I try again with the same result.

"Try using the water to tilt the vase over. Essentially you want the vase to to be upside down so the water can carry the vase instead of moving all as a unit." Cassius walks in and sits next to Jesika as if watching Houdini with anticipation.

"Carry the vase? hmmm..." , I lift the water out of the vase and move it underneath it while swirling it like a disc. I then attempt to lift the vase and to my surprise, it works. However, the concentration to maintain what I am doing is making me break a sweat. The vase is almost at the table when Lenny walks in.

"Anyone made lunch?" Lenny doesn't wait for a response and opens the pantry. The distraction however is enough to have me look away and drop the vase and water by Cassius.

"Oh my goddess. I am so sorry." I run over to Cassius and grab the vase he manages to catch before it breaks on the table.

"Sure, he gets an apology but I get a fit of laughter when I was your victim." Atlas walks in with a new set of dry clothes.

"Damn right," I smirk at my brother. He rolls his eyes and then slaps Lenny in the back of the head for finishing off the donuts without offering him any.

"Iris, Kris is here!" Mom calls out at the same time I hear the front door open and close. My heart begins to race.

"Calm down horndog," Atlas looks at me while wiggling his brows.

"Ew, don't ever do that again." We all laugh as Kristofer walks in.

"Who's a horndog, Cassius and Atlas?" Kristofer asks with a straight face.

I laugh ridiculously hard because it's the first time I see my brother and his mate look so flustered. There has to be more to that story that I need to know. Then it dawns on me. I'm laughing. It's not because I'm fine because I know I'm far from it but being surrounded by so many people I love truly allows me to find momentary solace.

"Did I miss something?" Kristofer asks as he hugs me in greeting.

"Hi," I whisper, pulling his attention down to me. I miss his scent invading me the way it does.

He whispers back, and for a second, forget there are others in the room.

Kristofer

I look around for Finn, hate his name. Last I hear, he is on cleaning duty for the month and isn't allowed to speak to anyone. Not as severe as I hoped but as he said, i'M nOt HiS AlPhA. Zeus laughs and agrees that the punishment is light.