Chapter 11 - Her Protector

After Natasha and Clint finished their shift at the coffee shop, the two friends and Maria went back to Natasha’s apartment because the redhead insisted on changing her clothes to a more proper outfit for the night out with her friends. But when she stepped out to the living room in a low-cut tight-fitting red dress that fell above the knees, Clint knew he needed to say something about it.

“I’m pretty sure your boyfriend will not approve of this.” He said, looking her over, “I mean, don’t get me wrong, you look hot, Tasha! But isn’t that dress a bit too revealing?”

True her dress was quite revealing, but Natasha figured it had been a while since she dressed up to impress. She just wanted to look amazing for her first night out since she dated Steve. Besides, she looked both sexy and sophisticated in her current outfit. It would be a crime not to wear the dress now.

“That’s why he must not know anything about this.” Natasha replied casually as she smoothed out her dress, effectively ending the argument. She knew Clint only brought Steve up as an excuse for his own protectiveness of her.

“You date a guy and didn’t tell me right away?” Maria pouted, “I need all the details, girl!”

“I need a few drinks first before we start talking about my relationship.”

“Just tell me the general details. You can’t ask me to wait until you’ve finished a few drinks, Nat.” The brunette groaned, “God! I forgot just how good you really are at drinking. Seriously, you practically outdrink Clint the whole time!”

“In my defense, Russian runs in her blood.”

Natasha smirked, “He’s right. We Russians definitely can hold our liquor.”

___________________

The three of them took a cab to McLaren’s Bar in Brooklyn where Sam Wilson, a friend of Clint and Natasha, worked as a bartender. They took a seat at one of the booths and Sam gave his friends the first round of drinks on the house.

Maria began telling Natasha and Clint what she had been doing since she left for Europe almost a year ago. Her work as an intern in a shipping company was very challenging and detail-oriented. The only upsides were that she got to travel around and met a few nice guys whom she dated briefly.

In return, Clint and Natasha told Maria everything she had missed during her time overseas, including Natasha’s recent relationship status. They avoided giving too many details about Steve, although from the look on Clint’s face, Natasha knew he was trying very hard not to spill everything.

“I’m sure Nat has men lining up for her, single or not.” Maria said with a teasing smirk, “I mean, half of the guys in the campus must be after you.”

Clint glanced at his best friend and snickered, “Oh yeah, she’s got like hundreds of guys chasing after her, but she turned them all down. Said she wasn’t interested in dating.” He playfully added, “But look at her now, having an actual boyfriend.”

Natasha rolled her eyes good-naturedly, “Well, you were the one who kept telling me to find a boyfriend, remember?”

“How did you guys meet anyway?” Maria probed, curious about the guy who had caught the attention of Natasha Romanov.

“We met at the university.”

“Is he cute?” Her friend asked again, obviously not satisfied with her previous answer.

“Yeah, he’s cute.” Natasha actually blushed a little, “He’s really handsome and also a gentleman. He’s the best guy a girl could ask for.”