[ 𝟎𝟏 ] 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝐦𝐞𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐛𝐨𝐲

— ❝ I FEEL LIKE I DESERVE A TWENTY DOLLAR TIP FOR JUST LOOKING AT HIM

»»———- ✪ ———-««

[ March 8, 2006 ]

    ROBIN ALWAYS HATED WORKING MORNING shifts. She had absolutely nothing against the intoxicating scent of bacon, eggs, and hashbrowns that came from the restaurant's kitchen window when she would fetch an order, but something about rising when the sun did never allowed her patience battery to fully charge for the day. So she'd let her painfully forced smile greet the customers instead.

Thankfully, it was a pretty slow morning. Robin had the floor to herself until Lacie's shift was supposed to start — about a half hour away — and she could count everyone who had come and gone on one hand since opening.

The redhead leaned lazily against the table at the check-in counter that held a basket of neatly wrapped utensils and a tray of laminated menus. She eyed her fingernails with the most concentration she had shown that morning, her thumb nail gently pushing her cuticles back. Her lips pursed into a soft pout when the focus wore off a few moments later.

For the most part, the restaurant was empty. Only an elderly couple in the front corner booth enjoying a nice breakfast together. Their conversation seemed to be the most interesting thing in the world, telling by how wide the wife's smile was as she poked her scrambled eggs with her fork.

Robin's gaze was torn away from her only customers when the familiar jingle of the bell's door sounded. Her glossed lips pulled back robotically and her brown eyes gleamed at the tall, shaggy man that stepped into the lobby. Robin's fake smile faltered. She didn't recognize him as anyone in the area.

Maybe some kind of tourist or something. Robin didn't exactly have the attention span to ponder it too hard.

"Table for one?" Her honeyed voice caught his absent blue eyes and he warily approached the counter. Robin prepared a single menu and utensil bundle between her manicured hands. He quickly shook his head.

"No, sorry." He apologized. The woman's eyebrows twitched with confusion but she didn't want to appear rude to the strange man. "Do you guys do food to-go? I wish I had the time to sit down but..." An awkwardly forced chuckle finished his sentence, leaving Robin with her lips silently parted and brows raised.

The tension couldn't have been cut with the sharpest blade known to man. "Of course!" The redhead cleared her throat and plastered a pearly grin on her face, pulling a slim notepad and pen out of her black apron. "What'll it be?"

His order was pretty simple, but it consisted of two breakfast specials. Robin began to wonder if it was for a girlfriend. Maybe a family member, maybe the food wasn't even for himself. Maybe he was a nice man who was surprising his parents or friends with a decent breakfast. "Can I have a name for the order?" Robin met the man's crystalline eyes.

"Sam." Robin messily scribbled the name down and ripped the ticket off of the pad, handing it off to the cook, Brady, waiting rather impatiently behind the window.

Robin spun back around and entered the information into the manual register. All of the menu's items and adjustment prices were ingrained into her mind years ago. She hummed to herself, enjoying the satisfying click-clack of her nails against the blocky keys. Sam silently fished his walled out of his jeans pocket.