15. Steamy

The six-seater car that we rented was driving along the road beside the hillside. Mitsuya sat beside Souya, who was driving smoothly. Rin and I were seated comfortably behind them, playing a game of Speak What You See. Sakura is none other than the one who created the game during the long journey. She is currently in the backseat because according to her, she wants to stretch her legs lest they go numb.

"I don't like that feeling. It's like getting pricked by a thousand needles whenever you try to move." Sakura gave a shiver as if she was talking about a cluster of cockroaches.

"I don't hear you saying the same to me every time you sit on my lap," Mitsuya called out from the front of the car.

"No comment~"

Suddenly, the car jerked to the side abruptly. I looked to our right and saw a dark blue SUV overtake us without warning. Souya wasn't exceptionally pleased when he had to push down on the car horn.

"Did you hit your head as a child!? Use the signals, will you!"

I leaned forward and patted his shoulder, slowly massaging the irk mark on the side of his forehead. "Hey, it's alright, baby. They're not worth your time, calm down."

He tutted in reply, but he couldn't hide that red flustered face quick enough-that boy. Moments later, Mitsuya called out as a large wooden building came into view. The words "Onsen" were painted on a wooden sign above the front gate.

Last time, the work we handed in for the contest got second place, and we were rewarded with a vacation package for 5 people to a luxurious onsen. The package included some healthcare stuff like herbal soaking, milk baths, rose baths (this actually piqued my interest), and some others I forgot about.

Souya finds a parking spot and shuts off the engine as he parked the rental smoothly.

"Alright, guys. Grab your luggage while I go check in at the counter." He walks towards the front door, hoisting his bulky backpack on one shoulder.

"I'll go with him, he'd scare that little girl at the counter for sure," Rin said as she wheeled her suitcase behind her.

Mitsuya opened the tailgate of the car and helped bring down my luggage bag from behind the backseat. He then proceeded to pull Sakura from behind the seats out with her arms stretched out like a cat.

...I wonder if Souya would do that.

"y/n, you coming?"

I turned and hurried towards the check-in counter, where a little girl was hiding behind her mother, who was registering the tickets from the vacation package. The little girl seemed especially afraid of Souya's demeanor.

"You never stop scowling, do you?" I told Souya.

"Can't help it, my dear."

Once we had checked in, the lady in charge of the onsen led us to our room. We took off our shoes, put on the slippers provided for us, and followed her up the stairs. She took a turn at the end of the corridor and slid open a door.

"Wow! It's so cozy and nice!" Sakura spun around in the room, admiring the outline of the room they were going to sleep in.

The lady in charge gave a small chuckle. "My dear Hikari just rearranged this room just this morning before you all arrived. I do hope it is to your taste." She patted the head of the small girl hiding behind her mother.

"Really? That's very impressive, Hikari-chan!" Rin complimented. The young girl nodded hastily, with her cheeks flushing red.

The lady in charge then proceeded to inform us of the rules and regulations of the onsen inn. She also did not forget to tell us that since other people are also staying here for the night and that all 5 of us are going to sleep in one room (as said in the vacation package), we ought to exercise self-restraint.

"I understand that you all are in your adolescent stage, but this is an inn, not a love hotel. Kindly uphold your dignity before you graduate."

I'm not sure if I saw it for real or not, but I could've sworn I saw her face darken for a second.

"We won't, ma'am. We'll make sure to follow the inn's rules." Souya said.

"Oh my, you're quite the polite one, aren't you?" The innkeeper smiled. "Well, I do hope you'll enjoy your wonderful stay. Please don't hesitate to call for me if you require anything."

The onsen was awesome, to say the least. There were a lot of different types of baths, the showering area was clean, and the temperature for the bath was just- SPLASH

"What are you in a daze for? Loosen up!" Sakura jumped in and landed right beside me.

"Sakura, it's rude to splash others in the bath." Rin scolded as she settled down on my other side.

Sakura stretched her arms and legs as she let them float seamlessly on the water's surface. She had the dumbest grin on her face that reminded me of the time she had me massage her after one of her track-and-field competitions.

"Ahhhhhh, I feel like I'm melting away~"

"Don't swallow the water." I reminded her as she started to open and submerge her mouth under the water. But it didn't even take 10 seconds for her to come back up again.

"Blech!! That tastes disgusting!" she exclaimed as she pulled her wet and messy hair back.

"What did you expect? Hundreds of people swim in here all the time."

Then a thought came to me. I wonder what the boys are doing now?

Meanwhile,

The two guys were running. as if their life depended on them. Behind them, a large group was giving chase.

"Mitsuya, what should we do???"

"We need to hide first! Quick, in here!"

Mitsuya spots a closet at the end of the corridor and speeds to the door. He yanks it open and they both squeeze in, out of sight just as the horde of people turned the corner and passed them. After what seemed to be a while, Mitsuya broke the silence.

"I think they're gone now."

"Alright, we need to sneak back to the room and wait for the girls."

Souya reached for the door handle in the crammed closet full of cleaning tools, but as soon as he held it, the handle came off.

"Uhh..."

"...If you say that we are stuck here," Mitsuya started to say in quiet fury. "I'm going to call Taiju to beat you up."

At that moment, Souya hesitated as he jammed the handle he was holding into its rightful place and kept twisting it. He had as much success as Draken marrying Emma and settling down.

"Call the girls, maybe?" Souya suggested.

Mitsuya reached for his pocket, only to realize he had dropped it during the chase.

"Dude... Can you stop moving so much? It's so tight in here."

"I'm trying to open this door, if you can't tell..." Souya said as he held up the door handle for him to see.

"Try your phone, man. I think I dropped mine."

"I uh, left it charging in our room."

"... I'm definitely calling Taiju after this."