1. How Did I Not Notice

I was walking home with my friends from my university at around 5 pm one night. The professors gave the three of us so many assignments, our arms nearly came off from all the writing and typing. Just another day in Japan's capital city, huh?

"I'm bored... y/n, where should we go?"

I glance to my side and see my friend, Sakura, talking to me.

"I just wanna go home and read my novels."

"Ehh? You've been saying that since last week. What's it about anyway?" my bespectacled friend, Rin, joins in on the conversation.

"Uhhhhh... " I reply sheepishly. "It's about a bartender... love story."

Rin and Sakura paused, then giggled and smacked my shoulder. Reading novels was the only thing I liked to do, besides eating snacks.

Ahem, romance novels.

"Okay, okay, I have an idea! I've heard about a bar somewhere around here, and color gangs used to gather there! But after the bartender changed, nobody's been there since!"

"And you're saying this because...?" Rin asked her.

"Oh no-"

"Let's go see who that bartender is!" Sakura interrupted you.

Crap. I knew Sakura always had crazy ideas ever since we both first met in middle school. From pranking teachers with cold konjac jelly to throwing balloons filled with dyed water at her enemies' cars and bicycles.

But this was serious.

"Sakura, are you mad? Gangs go there! We could get hurt! And I won't be able to read my novel!"

"You mean your smut novels?" Rin spoke up.

"S-shut up!"

We all continued to walk down the street we were on, conversing with each other.

"Come on y/n, learn to live a little! Besides, there are no gangs in Tokyo anymore. It'll be fun!"

"Wasn't there a really big bosozoku gang before? The Tokyo Whats-it-called Gang?"

"Oh, didn't you know? They were disbanded a couple of months back."

"I don't know about this... Wha-what if people found out?" my mouth stammered.

"Then we'll say some creepy guy forced us to."

"Rin, you're smart. You aren't going, are you?"

I look at Rin, who had a funny expression on her face. And then, I knew what that meant.

"Well... " she started, pushing up her glasses.

"You can't be serious."

"I can explain. I uhhh..."

"Rin-chan told me about the bar because she was curious about it! So I looked it up and checked where it was."

I look at her with a surprised-Pikachu face. Rin was known as a quiet student during our lectures, and her other friends say she doesn't do many activities either.

And Sakura was the polar opposite, she was the class clown and idol. Her academics are barely average, but no one can beat her at Phys Ed.

During baseball practice, she batted a home run eighteen times in a row. Even the boys were scared of being the catchers.

I sigh. "Are you sure about this?"

They both nodded, with Sakura bopping her head up and down aggressively.

"Fine, dammit... Where to?"

"Right over there!"

Sakura pointed her nail-polished finger at a small bar in the nearly empty shopping street. I saw a blue neon sign glowing above the door. How have I never noticed that?

"The 4th Division... That's the place?" I recited the words written in neon lights.

Sakura held Rin's and my hand and went off dragging us to the bar. The three of us pushed open the door and entered, which shook a small door chime.

Our eyes darted around, the walls and floor had a rustic aesthetic to it, a small jukebox played jazz that resonated around the place. It was unexpectedly beautiful.

And most importantly, nobody else was here. No gang members, no Yakuza, no bosozoku, no one.

"Seats for three?" a voice spoke and interrupted our thoughts. It seemed to come from the bar counter.

 It seemed to come from the bar counter

"Ah yes, sorry for the trou-"

To enter the bar, you had to open the door and walk through, turn 160° degrees to the right and you'll face the bar. So we couldn't see whoever was at the bar counter.

As we all turned around, we were startled by a pair of eyes with dilated pupils looking at us. They belonged to a man with blue hair in a short ponytail, wearing a black vest over a plain white dress shirt. His face was contorted into a furious glare.

"What will you all be having for this afternoon?" he uttered, with the exact expression still residing.

"Uh, are you the bouncer, by any chance?" Rin tried to speak through her fear.

"No, I shall the one be serving your drinks. I am the bartender."

"And your name is...?"

The bartender then took a deep breath before speaking.

"Angry- I mean, Kawata," he spoke. "Kawata Souya."