6. Twin Devils

breathe in... breathe out...

I took deep breaths. There were still some gangsters in the room. One was asleep on the couch, another was cleaning his pistol on a table, and a few others were playing poker on a coffee table.

"I'll have to wait for an opportunity..."

Then one of the thug's phones rang. He placed his deck of cards down and picked up the phone call.

"Yeah, she's here. No sign of trouble just yet."

There was a distinct voice from the other end of the call.

"Really? Now? Alright then."

Everyone gets up and approaches me, including the one calling as he put his phone near my mouth.

"W- what are you going to do?"

"Sorry, miss. Boss's orders."

I tried to struggle against them. But it was 6 against 1. In the midst of it, someone injected something into my neck. My vision became blurry, and my arms and legs went limp.

"What... was that..."

"Man, this thing is worth the money. I had to buy it over from Russia too."

Their hands started to dig under my clothes, groping me in places I dare not disclose.

Just then, the lights went out and everything went even darker.

"Tch, another short fuse? Kenji, go check it out."

One of them walked out the door to check on the fuse box, but suddenly a loud scream pierced my ears.

My eyes were getting sleepy, but before I passed out for the second time, I could see a figure in the dark, charging at the thugs in the room.

"SHINE, KORA!!"

The sounds of grunts and cracked bones. That was the last thing I heard before I fell into unconsciousness.

"... ..."

"Ugh... My head..." I muttered.

"Wakey wakey~ Are you dead?"

I heard a voice call out. My cheek felt like someone was pinching me. My eyes opened and saw a bleak face. It looked very familiar to me. In reply, I could only mutter a name.

"Sou...ya?"

The figure grinned in front of my face.

"Bzzzzzztttttt~~~ Wrong answer, princess. Try again."

"Huh...? Then... who are you?"

"Kawata Nahoya desu~ But you can call me Smiley."

"Smiley?"

My head started to clear up. My vision and hearing were recovering from the drug.

In front of me was a man with orange-pink ruffled hair and a large smile. His smile was so wide, even his eyes were closed shut.

"Wait, where am I?"

I looked around me. It seems that I was in a park, somewhere in town. I spotted a bike resting beside the bench I was lying on. Did he ride me here all this way?

"Here, catch."

I turned around and caught the cold water bottle tossed by Smiley.

Wait, did he call himself Kawata Nahoya?