23 | Wishes

✦•······················•✦•······················•✦

After a few weeks of rain and the sun was out, I finally had enough guts to ask Lorenzo if I could go outside again. Each day Lorenzo has gotten slightly more tolerable and now I no longer want to drive a knife through his head. Repeatedly.

My eyes scan the gardens that look as if they go on forever. Lorenzo follows closely behind me. He said he had a minute to spare, so now he's following me around his own garden.

"Why didn't you put anchovies in the dish?" I turn my head and look up at him.

"You said you didn't like them."

"I could've just picked them out you know."

I hear him grunt in acknowledgment. I walk deeper and deeper into the garden. A tall hedge comes into view.

"Is that a maze?"

"Yeah, it is. It's only small and you can't get lost in it. Mother always had a dream of having a maze in her garden so, yeah."

"So you put a maze in your garden to make your Mother happy?"

When he doesn't reply, I turn to look at him. He's trying to look everywhere but me. I start walking towards the maze, the shuffling along the grass tells me he's following me. I enter the maze and take each turn.

Once I've reached the centre, a stone fountain sits in the middle of the open space. A statue of Cupid, holding an arrow with a heart point and a bow sits tall. I walk towards the edge. The clear water reflects the sun and almost blinds me. A warm breath tickles the back of my neck distracting me from my temporary impairment.

"What are you doing?" I mutter under my breath, but I don't dare move, worried I might brush up against him.

"There's a little tradition with this fountain." His breath is warm and it smells like mint.

I decide to turn around to face him, but he makes no effort to move away from me. "And that is?"

"That you are to kiss the person you're with."

"I'm not kissing you." I scoff and let out an exasperated laugh.

Lorenzo simply smirks at me and leans closer, to which I lean away from him.

"You wanted me to come here didn't you?"

"Mhm. Now, where's my kiss?"

I look at his lush, pink lips then back at his grey eyes. I stand on my tiptoes and lean in, and kiss his cheek. He looks down at me in shock, surprised I didn't fall for his trick.

"You didn't specify on placement."

• • • • • • •

It's currently 3:07 am and I'm curled up on the couch watching Criminal Minds with Domenico. The screen is filled with countless mutilated bodies.