(9) Scraped by Words

Carter

Elnora's words affected me more than I expected. I'm blaming my body for moving to its own accord, pulling her into a hug.

"What was I thinking?" I mumbled as I make a U-turn.

It's been a long day and I'm exhausted, added by the fact of Elnora's sudden change of attitude towards me. I thought we already established something the night we met. If it weren't for the movie that I need to finish, I should be spending my time with her. Getting to know her is one of my plans after I finish the production, but I need to attend my Dad's birthday before that happens.

Will it happen though? It seems to me that she hates me now. Maybe I fucked up really bad.

I shouldn't have done that.

"Are you okay?"

I glance at the passenger seat. I almost forgot that I'm with my brother, Hezron.

"Yeah." I nonchalantly replied.

He shifted in his seat, seemingly trying to interrogate me. "Something's bothering you?"

I hesitated for a moment. I don't intend on saying things that I'm unsure of, but then again, I'm already sure about Elnora.

"I met this girl and I'm planning to get to know her you know," I explained, focusing my gaze on the road.

I heard Hezron laugh, making me glance again in his direction. "No way. Carter? The timid director? Is planning to get to know a girl? Come on, dude. I mean no offense meant, but you know you're pretty shy at school."

My lips formed into a smirk, "You know how people change."

He hummed, not believing me at all, "She'll be a distraction."

I've thought about that too. Looking for someone to date is not my top priority. I want to bloom in my career. I want to be successful and I don't need any distractions.

"She could be an exception."

"Day will come that you need to choose, Carter."

I shake my head, "Nah, that will never happen."

Hezron never answers after that. We stayed silent during the drive until we arrived at our house.

"My sons are already here. How are you two?" Dad greeted us when we entered the manor.

Embracing him, I gave him a small tap on his back. "Doing great, Dad. How're you?"

"I'm fine, son. Go upstairs, your mom is waiting for you."

I nod and look back at Hezron, "You coming?"

He shook his head, "I'm going to talk with Dad, it's about the hospital."

Nodding one more time, I waltzed my way to the balcony where I found mom sipping her tea.

"Honey!" Her face lits up when she saw me. She immediately stand up and I went to her for a hug to greet her.

"Hey, Mom."

"So, how's it going?"

I sat on the opposite chair, "Pretty decent. I just finished a movie earlier."

Tiara, my mother, clasped her hands together as she smiles cheekily. "That's good news!"