(6) Quotidian Taste

Quotidian
– of or occurring every day; daily.
– ordinary or every day, especially when mundane

It's Saturday afternoon and going to the office is such a big challenge for me. A flashback of what happened yesterday keeps on coming to me all over again. I don't know if I will be able to pull it off and act like nothing happened, but one can try, right?

And that 'one' is me. I'm currently walking toward my desk and I can feel multiple sets of eyes that were all over me. Though most of them were busy doing their job. I tried to keep a stoic expression until I arrived at my desk. But not long enough, a couple of people hover over my space.

"Where's Carl?" Mariette, the one with big eyeglasses asked without preamble. A Latina.

I groaned, I can't with her. During my first day working at this company, she was the very first one who approached me with such gleefulness. I thought she was just pretending to be nice since I'm new, but she hasn't changed that much ever since.

Lisa chuckles and tapped my shoulder, she was the only American among the three. A very straightforward woman who will say what she wants to say. She was somewhat a loner the first time I got here, but she's a good person I must say. Just nosy. "Did he follow you when you walked out?"

"I saw him with another woman last night," Martin whispered. Tried to actually. He got such voice that doesn't know how to whisper. It put us in trouble many times, every time. He is black and gay, and I love that about him even though at first glance, you can never tell that he's friendly with his cold demeanor.

These 3 are the main source of gossip inside the office, though they're also the ones that I'm kinda close with. They keep on getting in touch with me, asking me to go out with them, including me on their seats– specifically to their plans whenever they want to go out or something.

"Calm down okay? I don't know where he's at. He didn't follow me when I walked out. And I don't care about what you saw so let's get to work, okay?" I answered and I gestured them to shoo away.

Lisa rolled her eyes and instead of going away, she leaned toward my desk. "Someone saw you last night."

"Oh my! Stop it, Lisa."

Mariette poke her nose into the conversation, "We heard from our source that it's Carter."

Hearing Carter's name, my heart skipped a beat. Wait. Did they know him? How?

He never replied after the message I sent to him last night. I don't know about his whereabouts, but what we had last night is something that I would treasure forever and it's okay to never see him again.

My eyes go to Martin, pleading for help but he just shrugged and sipped his coffee. This traitor also wants to learn about what happened without saying anything.

I tilt my head to face Mariette, "You knew Carter?"

"He is a Director. He directed Cast Away, the movie we watched last Sunday!"

"A what?" I muttered in case I didn't hear it correctly.

"Director, Elly. He directed most of the popular movies in today's time. But since you're not really into movies, I clearly understand why you don't know him." Martin answered.

When the sound of an open elevator ping, Lisa suddenly behaves herself and secretly pointed at the elevator. The three of us— me, Mariette, and Martin look at where she pointed. We saw Carl enter with some supermodel-like woman beside him.

He smugly looks at me when he saw that we were staring. I gave him a professional smile and nod as an acknowledgment and it seems like it pissed him off 'cause he went to our side with a grim expression.