(7) Place to Start

I slept late last night after exchanging multiple chats with Carter yet I woke up earlier than I expected. The first thing I did was to check my phone, no message.

"Ugh. I really need to stop waiting for his responses, it is becoming unhealthy." I talked to myself as I forced my body to sit up.

A knock from the door knocked me out of my reverie as well. Searching for the clock, I saw that it was 9:28 am. Getting out of my bed, I visit the mirror first to see if I'm decent before I go out of my room and went to the door, but not before peeking through the peephole.

My eyebrow creased when I saw a delivery man. Did I order something?

Bothered, I opened the door with a frown. He must be lost or something.

"Miss Elnora? Food delivery from Mister Carter, it's already paid. I just need you to sign here," the man then pointed to the paper he was holding and even though I'm still confused, I did what he asked for. "Thanks."

I nod my head and gave him a small thanks before I shut the door closed. A minute or two, my phone rang on the bed. I immediately went there and saw that Carter called.

"What's this all about?"

I walk towards the kitchen as I answer his call, placing the food on the table.

He chuckled on the other line, "No hello? I ordered something for you since you said you usually wake up around 9 am. Breakfast is on the house."

"That's sweet of you... thanks, I guess... Already got it." I said while looking at the plastic bag full of food.

When I gave him my address last night, I didn't think that he will order something for me. This is not the first time that someone gave me food, but it touches me that someone would care to send some even though we just met a few days ago.

"You're welcome. Good thing it was delivered on time. I haven't been on social media lately, I'm at work." He explained as I heard noises from the background, people were chattering and it seems that even though it was their break– I think– people are still busy and very dedicated.

I hummed as I started unpacking the food, trying to find something to say. "Is it your off today?"

"No."

"It's Sunday though!"

"Even though it's Sunday, I still go to work."

"Oh, that sucks." I mumbled while getting a plate and utensils.

"Gotta go El. Call you later."

Seems like he's very busy. Well, given their hectic schedule, I just feel bad for him not having an off even just once a week.

"Mmkay, bye. Take care! Thanks for the food again."

"Yeah, thanks and you're welcome!"

He hung up after that and I proceed to eat my breakfast.

These foods are delicious, I'm going to enjoy myself.

"Someone called you?"