chapter 18

Legolas POV

"She is probably our best soldier and she lay bed ridden," Theoden argues as we stand amongst each other in the great hall of Helms Deep. It stood, Theoden, Eowyn, some of the kings guards, Gimli, and I and it felt so empty without Aragorn or even Tame here.

"You would not understand, Theoden-king," I say softly, my arms crossed and with a shrug. "Elves only fall in love once, their mind can only handle having one love," I explain to them all. "Losing Aragorn may just be Tames biggest feat. It's rumored that when an elf loses their one love, they will lose themselves too," I add with a twinge of saddess in my voice. I hear a gasp escape from Eowyn, a hand covers her mouth, as if realizing that she may have overstepped a boundary with Tame, considering her cold action towards her moments ago. 

"Its selfish talk, during hard times such as these, everyone is losing someone they love," Theoden argues back and I am unfazed. He doesn't know Tame like I do. No one does, except Aragorn, and he's gone so I must stand up for her now.

"There is nothing I can do to help her, its a battle with herself and needs to be kept to herself," I say taking a step forward. "Thats how we are," I add, my eyes stern as I stared straight onto the king, enough for him to avert his gaze.

"C'mon Gimli," I say and gesture Gimli to follow me as we leave the hall, out into the streets where people lined the walls, huddling together for security and warmth.

"Will she turn around lad?" Gimli asks me and I simply shrug.

"Shes fighting her own battle right now, her heart," I say as I stop amongst the crowd of people.

"I miss her yapping," Gimli mentions and I smile softly.

"As do I, as do I."

A few hours pass, its near night fall and I stood watch of the front gate of the great hall where Theoden was inside planning his next moves. Gimli was beside me, puffing on a pipe.

But what caught my attention was when the gate heaved open and with a watchful eye a man on horseback came trotting in, and if my eyes decieve me, as if I saw a ghost, the wary face of Aragorn was casting his eyes over the crowd of people, until they landed on me. Riding in closer,  Gimli and I still in shock at the ghost before us, Aragorn made it to us, and I immediately embraced him.

"You are the luckiest, the canniest and the most reckless man I ever knew! Bless you, laddie!" Gimli exclaims and Aragorn chuckles.

"You're late," I speak up and Aragorn tilts his head, but then worry fills his eyes. 

"Tame?" He asks me and I nod my head.

"I don't know how much time left there is, but she has been bed ridden," I explain to Aragorn and looks at me with shock in his face.

"She thinks I'm dead," Aragorn whispers and I nod my head. 

"You're her one," I add and Aragorn grabs my shoulder.

"Thank you for being there for her when I couldn't, its not your burden to bare," Aragorn says and I grab his shoulder back, giving it a squeeze.

"Tame is one of my greatest friends, she is worth all my time," I assure the very tired but worried man and he nods before entering through the door to where Tame laid.

Aragorn POV

When I entered her room, the weight of sorrow and heart break surrounded me like a wave of heat. Suffocating and dark. Warily I stepped closer to the bedside of the women I loved and saw how frail and sucken in she looked. She was completely losing herself, draining herslef of her life force, because she thinks I'm dead.