chapter 2

**everything in italics is in sindarian

I sat a top my stead in utter shock at the display before me. There sat Aragorn tending to the wounds of a hobbit on the brink of death. Quickly I removed myself from Idril and hurried to his side.

"Aragorn, I have been tracking you for the past two days," I speak and the three other alive hobbits look to me astonished. I kneel beside Aragorn as I glance between him and the hobbit on the ground.

Aragorn turns to me, a look of shock on his face. He was not expecting to see me, he looked grateful. He dipped his head towards me, I returned the gesture.

"Who is she?" One hobbit asks aloud. His look of confusion close to that of a child.

"This is Frodo, he was stabbed by a morgul blade," Aragorn cuts in as he fiddles with Frodo's wound with some herbs, kingsfoil from what I could observe in the dull light of a slow burning torch in one hobbits hand.

"She's an elf," Another hobbit speaks up, this one a bit larger set than the others. I give him a look of acknowledgment before returning my gaze to Frodo.

"He needs the healers of Rivendell, or I fear he will not make it," I speak in commontongue this time, purely so the other hobbits understood where Frodo must go. "I sense five wraiths around, where are the other four?" I quickly question Aragorn, taking in his strong features of distress. He glances at me before sighing.

"Stay with the hobbits, I will go to Rivendell with Frodo," Aragorn tells me, but I am already on my feet fetching the reins of Idril. "I will send horse your way for the hobbits," He adds and I shake my head.

"We both know I'm the faster rider," I say and pat Idril on his snout. "The wraiths will catch up to you, Idril will outrun them. We both know this," I say and grab his hand securely. He looks up at me fro his place beside the failing hobbit. He grits his teeth in protest but eventually gives in, squeezing my hand in response.

"I trust you," He says and I smile slightly before going a top Idril, Aragorn scooping Frodo, who groaned out in pain, before setting him in front of me on the saddle.

"I know, someone has got to," I reply and Aragorn gives me soft eyes, one of sympathy, but one that was dark and full of mystery, whatever was going on in his mind, she hated she couldn't know.

"Hurry now, the wraiths are upon us," Aragorn demands, and with a tug of my reins, we were off.

The screams of the ringwraiths shook my soul as we rode, the sun rising and the trees going past like the speed of light.

Idril was the fastest horse in all of Rivendell, and I was surprised she bonded to me. We were both outcasts, and that must be something she could sense in me as well.

"Make haste, Idril," I speak out as I notice many black figures upon black steads tailing us, their screams of protest causing my ears to ring. It was the adrenaline but also the fear we would not make it in time, as I sensed Frodo's life force draining as we speak.

As we came upon the river bank that bordered Rivendell, a tree branch had scratched my cheek, the small incision slowly running red down my cheek, but I bother not by it, just another bump in the road. Idril broke through the brush, her hooves galloping through the shallow stream of the river. I turn her to face the tree line, the ringwraiths had stopped at the bank, screaming and their horses calling out daring to get their hooves wet.

I pulled my sword, its curve of the blade reflecting against the morning sun.

"If you want him, come and get him," I say between gritted teeth. Without warning the wraiths took to cross the stream.