Flight

>>Elayne

The season had started to change and the nights had started getting chillier. I stood at the top most terrace of the palace alone when I heard someone else make his way towards me.

I knew who it was just by the footsteps and smiled as I waited.

"You made a bold decision to accept halves into the kingdom." I looked at Kaan as he came over and stood by my side, next to the railing.

"There was never a rule where we banished them. The bad blood between the demons and humans caused useless hate." He smiled as he glanced at me, "But I want to enforce the harmony now."

Gentle breeze blew, fluttering my hair with it. I slipped my hands around his arm and got comfortable as I placed my head on his arm.

"People have taken the order quite seriously. I didn't think it would work so nicely." I stared at the beautiful night sky.

"The effect is most likely because of Leysa's punishment."

"Ah- Right, where did you send her though?"

"To the cold city."

"Cold city?" I wrinkled my forehead as I thought about it, "Is that some sort of jail?" Did he send her to jail?

"In a way, you can say that but no," I looked at him while he stared at the clear black sky that was full of stars, "I had questioned her and the boy who was involved, their purpose was to scare you away not kill you."

"But they almost did." I definitely thought at that time that I was going to die but after getting to know the whole truth I do get that it was a set up but it won't change the fact that I was terrified and almost finally reached the afterlife.

"I know," He replied, "Thus why both of them were banished to the cold city."

"What is the cold city?"

"At the edge of the demon empire, it's an extremely cold place. A nightmare for demons. It's hard to govern the demons that live in that place since most of them are violent and aggressive."

"So you sent her to live there as a punishment?"

I sort of feel a little bad for her. It wouldn't have happened if I wasn't in the picture. Then Leysa and Kaan would have married like Leon and Sonomi did... She only wanted me out of the picture... I even told her she and Kaan were meant to be together and here I am getting married to him next week...

"It was long overdue that there needed to be a governor there. It's going to be a constant battle for her but considering everything, this was for the best."

Well, maybe it was. What she did was very dangerous even if her intentions weren't that bad. You have to be responsible for your actions and she did harm the King's lover. This must be considered as treason. Since I'm a half too, people must be scared that Kaan is serious about punishing people who discriminate between full breeds and halves.

He's already set the example by sending Leysa to the cold city.

I kept my eyes on Kaan but he didn't look back at me and I wondered if he was aware that Leysa had feelings for him

...

I looked towards the sky again and we continued to stare at it for a while in silence before he spoke again.

"Your brother asked me about something."

!!!

My brother?

"Who? Leroy?"

He nodded and then looked at me, "About finding your father."

!!!