Reminder

>>Sorin

Pain
There’s so much pain.
Each step sends an electrifying current in my entire body.
Each breath suffocates me.

I’m dragging myself on mud roads in the middle of the forest. Dense trees surround me but everything seems dead silent among the screams of terror. Everything seems to fade away to the discomfort of the body and mind.

I look down to see the cause of the pain.
There’s blood?

Terror loom over me, I can feel my enegry depleting.

Hell… It hurts so much!
It hurts everywhere!

I look at my hands. They are bruised? My clothes were messed up as well, torn from some places and much of my skin was bruised. My lungs hurt too. I gulp but the saliva going down my throat pains me as well.

What is going on?
I feel like I’m dying.

My vision is becoming foggy. Why is everything so blurry?
I look at the rough mud road. There’s more blood there now. Why?

I try to move forward but the step I take gives me crucifying pain.
I look towards my foot, only to be horrified.

It’s broken?
It hung at a twisted angle. Getting dragged as I moved ahead leaving a filthy red trail behind it.

Oh? Is that why I’m dragging myself? But where am I going?

Am I running away from something?

A gut wrenching scream answers my question. The blood curdling scream makes me look back up at the sky and through the trees I see smoke and fire.

The city was burning. There were far off screams that just didn’t seem to stop.

Right…
The demons attacked…

Everyone ran to safety but many died.
Leroy died…
My skin stood up as I remembered the petrifying memory.

I turned my head and began to drag myself again. But, where am I even going? I probably won’t get far, neither am I in the condition to run nor can I walk properly.

On top of that, I’m even leaving a trail behind me. A trail  of fresh blood.
I feel like my sanity is leaving me.

I go further, but the screams of the people I left behind are haunting me. I keep going, I don’t stop even though it hurts so much yet the echoes of terror won’t fade away.

It was all my fault.
I could have done something. I could have been a better ruler. I could have been someone good. I could have been someone kind. I could have chosen to not be a coward. But, I made all the wrong choices.

While my physical pain was at peak, I felt emotionally destroyed as well. The only support I ever had in life was dead.
My eyes stung as tears formed in the corner.

It was all my fault. All my memories come rushing back to me. All my wrongs and all the destruction that started from me.
I caused it all!

And yet, here I am, running away from all what I had done.

Tears streamed down my face as the consequences of my actions reached me and began to destroy all my emotional and mental balance.

Hell!
Hell!
Hell!

Where am I even going? I sniffled. I couldn’t even see now. Everything was too fogged up. I stopped. Why am I running? I’ll never be able to escape these screams of help. They will always haunt me.

I stopped and looked up at the once blue sky that was now turning dark because of the amount of smoke it was taking. The city had been burning for a while now and dark clouds began to assemble in the sky because of it.
It was as if the kingdom was plunging into darkness.