Goodbye

>>Kaan

"Are you done asking around?" I asked the sheep triplets while I sat in my study anxiously tapping my right foot on the floor.

"Not all of them," Kim answered, "There are a lot of servants in the place." She answered in a very reserved tone.

"Fuck..." I cursed under my breath and then looked back at them, "How much time do you three need?"

"My Lord," Sim stepped up, "We do need some more time. Especially because not only do we have to ask around, we also have to match the stories of people."

The other two timidly nodded and I sighed.

Damn it... I'm getting really anxious here. The feeling that something bad will happen isn't going away.

"We're trying our best," Sim said, "Please don't get angry..." I paused at her words and realized all three of them seemed a little scared. And that realization made me feel a little guilty. I hadn't realized that I was being harsh on them.

"No," I shook my head, "I'm not angry," I answered in a lower tone, "Just anxious..."

"My Lord..." Kim understood, "We'll do our best." She looked at the other two and they nodded.

I nodded at them, "Make sure one of you always has an eye on Elayne. Okay?"

They nodded back firmly, "We'll get to the bottom of this as fast as we can my Lord!" Rim exclaimed as she clenched her fists and showed her fighting spirit.

"Thank you," I gave them a wry smile, "You may all leave."

"My Lord," They all bowed and left and I slumped against the chair for a few seconds then stood up to leave.

I have an audience to meet in the throne room too.

I sighed.

Being a ruler isn't easy. Except that these days, it seems to be harder.

***

I was in the middle of the session when Leysa entered the hall. Her entrance was quiet, like it usually is and I paid no attention to it since it was normal but instead of coming and standing by to guard at the side of the hall, she walked all the way to the throne and stood beside me.

"Your highness," She whispered into my ear, "It's an emergency."

"Can it wait?" I asked as I glanced at the people in front of me. There were still many things I had to go through.

"Not that I mind, but it's an emergency only for you." Her words instantly sent an alarm in my head and right at that moment Kim entered the hall with a panicked expression. Sweat was dripping down her forehead and her pupils were shaking as she looked at me in fear.

No one had to say anything for me to understand what sort of emergency it was. I got up with the feeling of doom weighing down on me and left the hall praying that I'd catch her on time.

My actions may have caused a stir among the people who were having an audience with me but at that moment I forgot about everything else and sprinted out of the place.

>>Elayne

Rion was asleep in my arms, I knew that this was the only time I could bring him away with me, away from the demon king's castle. He likes that place and I know he feels at home there too but I can't leave on my own. What would be the point of going back alone without my son? I know it's cruel to Kaan and Rion, but what about me?

I boarded the cargo ship that was leaving for Rugen without looking back. I couldn't look back. I can't waver here.

I ascended the stairs and took a deep breath in the middle when a familiar voice called out my name.

"Elayne!!" That voice made my heart jump. I knew who it belonged to all too well but I couldn't stop and made it to the ship deck, "Don't leave!" The voice contained much sorrow in it, the kind that makes you rethink everything.

I slowly turned to look back at Kaan who stood at the edge of the dock looking at me with wide pitiful eyes.

The moment my eyes landed on him, I felt so bad and heartbroken. When I looked back at him I felt all of my resolve waver, "I can't..." I answered him in a shaky voice as I stood on the deck of the ship. It was hard to muster up my courage. My legs, my feet, my whole body was ready to go back down, down to him, into his arms.

"Please," He extended his hand towards me, "Come back."

But I can't...

I shook my head, "If I stay, I'll die." I looked at Rion, "I can't die..." I felt my emotions swell up, "I barely got a second chance to live!!" I looked back at him in desperation as I remembered all I had to lose, all I had to go through to get here.

So much pain, so much sadness and my redemption.

"Please!" He said, "It wasn't the world trying to get rid of you!! It was planned-" The ship's foghorn made an ear wretching whistle, making my heart jump violently.

After it died down, I hugged Rion tighter in my embrace and looked back at the demon lord as my chest kept tightening.

"Elayne, come back, I'll explain everything." My heart hurt so much the more I looked at him, it felt like it was bleeding out but I just couldn't bring myself to take his hand again. I wanted to, I wanted it more than anything but I didn't want to die.

The ship began to move and my body trembled in fear and sadness.

"Elayne!!!" The expressions Kaan had on worsened. He continuously shook his head at me and kept his hand extended towards me. Seeing that made me bite my lip so hard it bled.

I had to stop him, I feel too guilty leaving like this but I don't belong here! I want him! But I can't have him...

"Kaan..." I held onto Rion tight as I steeled my resolve to say something I never wanted to, "I never told you who killed me in my first life... Did I?" He paused when I said that.

Even though I was at quite a distance from him, I could see his gaze waver.

"What?" His eyes grew wide before I said anything. It was as if he knew instinctively.

"It was you." The ship started getting further away from the dock, "You absolutely despised me in the original timeline." I saw the light in his eyes fade and his hand drop by the side of his torso.

He looked defeated. Purely and utterly lost.

"I-" He was at a loss for words, "It- I-" He looked so lost standing there, it made me feel like a villain all over again.

It gave me so much pain that my chest hurt like it was on fire.

"I'm sorry," I said, "I'm too scared," There were tears in my eyes, "I'm really sorry."

Soon, it became difficult to breathe and I just ducked down to hide myself away from him.

I couldn't bear to look at him any longer.