Chapter 4

Hanna's POV

I sat in my room playing when I heard a knock at the door I thought perhaps auntie Johanna left her keys or her phone. I got up and went to the door it was an old man "can I help you sir" "hello deary I need you to come with me your aunt got hurt on her way to work I was sent by the church to take you to the hospital to see her". Now you can't blame me for trusting him I thought auntie Johanna had gotten hurt, I grabbed the spare key to the house along with my blanky and followed him. As I closed the front door I asked "what's your name sir" "John Dee" "it's nice to meet you Mr. Dee I've never seen you at the church before are you new" "no I was at a different church for a time being till I was called back recently". "Oh, what's that" "oh this, it's just a family heirloom" "it's very pretty" "thank you deary I never asked your name" "Hanna McCray" "how did you end up with your aunt if you don't mind me asking" "mummy died a while back I lived with my brother he wasn't very nice so I ran away but I know he's still looking for me I'm terrified of the fact that he may find me".

Morpheus's POV

I awoke slowly to Matthew yelling at me "hey boss, boss come on wake up we need to find your ruby and we can't do that unless you wake the fuck up" that wasn't my ruby if it was it wouldn't have blown me back but I could feel the presence of the ruby whoever had it was close by and I had a good idea of who had it. Once I got up I made my way to the diner I saw him he had it John Dee had my ruby but I noticed something else Hanna was with him "this isn't good John brought her here for a reason" "what do you mean" Matthew asked.

"He brought Johanna's niece here as leverage knowing that I won't hurt a child he basically has his hand around her throat and if he squeezes too hard he may just kill her".

Hanna's POV

"Why are we at a diner Mr. Dee" "I thought you may be hungry from our walk" "I am but don't we have to get to the hospital to see auntie Johanna" "she'll be alright deary don't worry" "see now no running away be a good girl and you'll see your aunt again, but if your naughty you'll be punished understood," I said nothing "good girl"

Morpheus's POV

I entered the diner and looked around "I'm John. I'm glad you're here. The power has gone out. So there's no TV, and no one left to talk to" "what is it you think you're doing" "saving the world from its lies" "the ruby wasn't made for that" "oh you're the Sandman my mother was right she'd said you'd be coming for it". "You must give it to me so I can repair the damage you have done" "I'm not giving it to you it's mine" "it's harming you John and your world" "it's revealing the truth this is the truth of mankind". "No you're wrong this is the truth of mankind" "how's work going," a woman asked another "good you know busy," the other said "they're lying to themselves," John said "Garry's supervising a new venture that looks promising," the first women said.

"It's all lies," John said "not lies John. dreams" "right sweetie," the other women said "Kate dreams of running away where no one will find her" "how are you Bette" "Garry dreams of proving his father was wrong about him". "How's Bernard doing how's your writing going" "yeah how's the novel" Bette smiled "good you know" "Bette dreams of creating something that matters to people their dreams inspire them," I said without looking at John. Bette sighed "I thought I'd have more time to write with Bernard off at college but it's been great having him home so". "Their dreams kept them alive but if you rob them of their dreams if you take away their hope then yes this is the truth of mankind, the ruby is hurting you, John it has too much of my power within it, it stole more when I tried to use it".

I looked over at Hanna the poor child she looked so scared I could tell she was slowly slipping into shock she was shivering while silently crying. I walked over to her and took off my robe gently placing it on her "you also lured a little girl out of her home by lying to her as if you thought bringing her here would alter your fate". John smiled at me "then perhaps if I use it to steal the rest of your powers I will be the king of dreams". "If you'd rob a dream lord of his power you shall do so in his realm in dreams" I created the room John was in and watched "welcome home Johnny don't be such a baby Johnny, go to sleep Johnny please" "mother" "Johnny you have to go to sleep you're father was right I never should have had you" "it's a dream," John said "it's a dream" the vision changed "is this your palace dream lord is this your throne king of lies well it's mine now are you watching can you see me using your own powers to burn away your lies".

"You must stop it's not too late to save yourself" "oh you think it's me that needs saving" "your father stole the ruby from me and cursed you with it". "You mean he blessed me with it your reign ended when my father captured you your kingdom is my birthright your power resides within me how does it feel to know I hold your life in my hands" I fell to the ground "stop I command you you're hurting the dreamers you're hurting her" "well it's time they woke up your life and your lies end now" John looked around "I did it I killed him". "Thank you John" "but I killed you" "you destroy the ruby and released the power inside it I would have never thought of that, I'd forgotten just how much of myself I had placed in that jewel".

"Are you going to kill me" "I could perhaps I will but the dream stone was not made for mortals so no John I will not kill you sleep well John" Matthew landed near me "all the damage the ruby did can you undo it" "the ruby didn't do this John merely used it to reveal wounds that were hidden but never healed tomorrow the rebuilding will begin in this realm and in mine but I have to do something first".

Third person POV

Desire stood watching as Dream picked up the little girl carefully desire smiled "I'm watching you big brother".