Chapter 3

"any idea where we are" Matthew asked me "the landscape is the subject to the whims of the morningstar" "the morning star" "we have to spend the night in this literal godforsaken..." "Lucifer morningstar" I said "as in the devil" Matthew said "the rule of hell is no mere devil" "so you two know each other". "We've known each other for a very long time when we first met Lucifer was the angel Samael" "I forget the devil used to be an angel". "Not just any angel" I corrected him "the most beautiful, wisest and most powerful being there is" "more powerful than you" "by far, especially now". "Why now" I sighed "the last time I was here I was an honored guest an envoy from my own kingdom, this time I have invited myself and I lack my symbols of office ".

"But you're still dream of the endless right, I mean you got your sand" I stopped suddenly "what's wrong" "Squatterbloat he's gone" "alright don't panic I'm just gonna fly up and see where we are" Matthew suddenly came back down in a slight fright "nope, nope not doing that" he said as the trees began to groan and moan the more I focused the more it became clear that there were people attached to the trees. "This way" Squatterbloat said, after another half hour walk we arrived "we're here" I walked ahead with Matthew following closely at my side "hello".

"Hello Dream" "greetings to you Lucifer Morningstar and to you Mazikeen of Lillim" "greetings dream lord" "you look well dream are you well" she began to ramble "and your family death, despair destiny and the others" "I presume the ruler of hell knows this is know social call". "Have you come to join forces then to ally your realm to ours" "to acknowledge the sovereignty of hell you know my feelings on that lightbringer". "Feelings change especially when has been caught and imprisoned by mortals" "we expected better of you sweet Morpheus". "I have come because my Helam of state was stolen from me I believe one of your demons has it I should like it back, now".

"Dream if only it were that easy but there are rules you see protocols which must be followed which demon has your Helam name it and we will bring it here". "I confess I do not know the name" "then we shall have to summon all of them" Lucifer looked at me smiling "there now dream you may inquire which demon has your helmet shall we interview them one at a time or...". "That won't be necessary" "it surprises us how easily you would give up Dream we know how you rely upon your tools but tools are the subtlest of traps, we become relent upon them and in thier absence we are vulnerable, weak and defenseless".

"Not entirely, I have recovered my sand it has brought me to hell and now it brings that which is mine in hell to me". I turned to the demon "tell me your name demon" the demon groaned "do I have to tell him" "this is Choronzon a duke of hell" "the helm is mine you must return it to me". "No it's mine now I traded it from a mortal for a paltry thing it was fair trade I've broken no laws and if the king of dreams wants his helm back he'll have to fight me for it". "Very well I challenge you Choronzon" "you know the rules dream lord" "if I win you return my helmet", "and if you lose you will serve as my slaves in hell for eternity". I sighed "I accept these terms" "and who do you choose to represent you in battle" Lucifer asked " I shall represent myself" " Choronzon whom will you choose to represent you" "I choose you sire" Lucifer turned to me with a sad smile"apologies Dream but the laws of hell demand that I become his champion but if you will not fight me".

"I have accepted the terms" "let the challenge begin" Choronzon greeted the demons "welcome ladies and gentlemen today for your entertainment and delectation a formal challenge, the challenger is Dream once the master of the realm of sleep as my challenged I've selected my champion ruler of hell Lucifer Morningstar to represent me in a contest of skill, confidence and transformation the oldest game". I turned to Matthew "Matthew I need you to return to the dreaming" "what no" "it's the only reason I allowed you to come" "so I could leave you" "if I should not be able to leave I would not have Lucienne left alone with no word of my fate", "Not again" "the sand will take you back" "I'm not going back".

"Morpheus am I interrupting a preliminary bout of some kind" "just a quick ringside pep talk your majesty we came here for the Helm and we are not leaving without it" "we shall see" Lucifer took a step forward "as the challenged I set the meter and take the first move" "very well make your move" Lucifer stepped forward "I am a dire wolf prey stalking lethal prowler" "I am a hunter horse mounted wolf stabbing" Lucifer dubbed over in pain blood stained her hand "I am a serpent horse biting poison toothed" "I am a bird of prey snake devouring talons ripping" Lucifer quickly put her hand to her face as a claw mark appeared "I am a butcher bacterium warm life destroying" I felt pain begin to take over "I am the world space floating life nurturing" "I am a nova all exploding plaint cremating" I screamed as I felt fire burn my skin "I am the universe all things encompassing all life embarrassing" "I am anti life the beast of judgement the dark at the end of everything" Lucifer smiles cruelly "what will you be than dream lord" "I ...I ..I" Matthew came over to me "boss hey boss" "still with us dream" "he is and it's his move your majesty".

"There are no more moves what can survive the anti life" "hey boss listen to me you know what can survive the anti life...you dreams don't fucking die not if you believe in them and I believe Dream of the endless would never leave his raven here alone in hell with Lucifer and you know what else boss, that little girl believes in you even tho she doesn't know you exist you are the only one who can protect her from the Corinthian". I got up slowly "I am hope" "hope" "well lightbringer it's your move what is it that kills hope" Lucifer growled "Choronzon give him his helm" "no I won't it's mine please" Mazikeen gripped Choronzon by the throat and took the helm from him before throwing him to his death "thank you Mazikeen thank you lightbringer the ruler of hell is honorable indeed I will not forget this". "Honorable you joke surely look out there Morpheus the billon lord's of hell stand arrayed about you tell me why should we let you leave after helmet or no you have no power here all what power have dreams in hell". "You say I have no power here perhaps you speak truly but to say dreams have no power in hell".

"Tell me Lucifer morningstar what power would hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to dream of heaven" "one day Morpheus we shall destroy you" "until that day lightbringer" Matthew cawed "do you think Lucifer will come after you" "why" "because you just publicly humiliated the ruler of hell can you even see in that thing" "I can, I can see the ruby and Johanna's niece something's wrong she's in danger".