Chapter 32-Interrogation Techniques

ابدأ من البداية

     Not seeing who they are looking for, the innkeeper points some of the torch carriers and spear bearers to the last room on the third floor.  They set off immediately, ascending the nearest set of stairs.

     Nick and Drake note the direction the Koalpan search party is heading and watch their progress with rapt interest.

     The posse arrives at the door and knocks vigorously.  One of the torch carriers yells, "U Oga!"

     There is no reply.  They repeat this formality once more before two of the spear bearers step forward and ram the door with their shoulders.  Upon the third attempt the barrier breaches and the torch carriers sweep past and into the room.

     Moments later the leader of the search party returns to the third floor railing and looks down at the innkeeper.  He shakes his head.

     "He's already gone!" Nick whispers to Drake.  Other Koalpans scurry about now, searching the premises.

     Nick turns to Drake once again.  He asks the dragon, "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

     Drake:  The docks at the river?

     "Right," Nick replies.  Before the innkeeper can protest, Nick is back in Drake's saddle and the two are airborne.

     The river docks are only a short distance and Nick and Drake can see a sailing yacht slipping silently downstream.  Some of the Koalpans are shouting excitedly and running toward the wooden planks of the dock.

     The current has got a hold of the boat, and it is sailing steadily down river.  The Crow Master is unfurling the sail to take advantage of the wind at his back.  He looks nervously towards the docks behind him and sees the Koalpans untying a few other boats to attempt a pursuit.  He glances at the skies above, but cannot spot the dragon anywhere.

     Suddenly, the canvas and mast before him ignite in bright orange and yellow flames.

     The old man yells and falls with his back to the deck.  Pieces of the sail are ripping away and their fiery tatters fly away in the breeze.

     The sailing yacht rolls sharply to its port side.  The motion causes the old Crow Master to fly to his feet.  He grabs the helm to keep from falling towards the inferno.

     Most of the sail has burned away now.  Through the gaping hole in the center of the flames, Drake's glowing ruby eyes appear.  The boat is tilted so much under the dragon's weight that the Crow Master can only hold on for dear life.

     Faster than a striking snake, Drake darts his head forward and snatches the old man up by the back of his shirt.  The dragon retracts back through the boom and the mast and starts to flap his wings.  In doing so, the sailing yacht settles back to its normal resting position in the water as Drake's mass transfers to the burden of his flight appendages.

     The man is screaming and hollering the entire time.  Then he stops his exultations as he notices how small the boat is getting.

     Drake continues to ascend.  He swivels his large head on his long neck, so that the Crow Master is facing Nick.

     "Nice night, eh?" Nick greets the old man.  Nick sees the Crow Master's weathered face contort in rage.

     "You murdered my Kaw!" he seethes at Nick.

     "Yeah, about that.  If by Kaw, you mean that murderous flock of crows shredding my dragon's wings, then, yeah, I tore them up real good," Nick replies with a mocking smile.