I gulped. “Do we need to do that?” I asked almost too silently. He nodded.

I gulped yet again. “Ok, goodnight,” I said then pinched his cheek. Oh no. There was no way I’m gonna kiss this monster. I still hate him, no matter what. I tried to smile at him but I failed miserably. Instead, I may have looked like some constipated old woman.

I noticed him rolling his eyes, and then they stared through mine. Is this some kind of a warning that if I didn’t kiss his cheek tonight, I’m never gonna see the sun tomorrow? Because seriously, his look was dangerously scary. “Kiss me,” he mouthed.

I looked around and saw people gawking at us fixedly. I grimaced. He shot his thick eyebrows up. He tilted his head as he mouthed, “Do it.”

I closed my eyes and tiptoed, my lips found his cheek and for the nth time tonight, I sensed that my cheeks were flushing. He smiled at me then winked. “Goodnight, babe.”

He turned his back on me then started walking away.

Mental note : Contrive rules.

Once I entered my unit, I realized my phone wasn’t in my pocket. Shit. I was expected to call Mom tonight. I groaned. I saw Zelle already asleep on the couch. The unit was clean. It has always been so clean ever since she arrived. I stirred her awake. She moaned. “Go to your room,” I said silently.

“San ka galing?” she asked.

“It’s midnight. Let’s talk about it tomorrow.”

She shrugged and squeezed her eyes shut once again. I shook my head and went straight to the shower. As I feel the cold water run down my skin, I tried to think of the rules that should be followed.

First: We are only in a relationship in the eye of the public.

Second: He would not call me pet names.

Third: Holding hands is the only PDA we are allowed to do.

Fourth: He would always pay the bill during our ‘dates’.

Fifth: No falling in love.

After I showered, I wrote all those and restlessly went to sleep.

Oh, sleep.

Thank God.

***

I woke up with a start. I had this nightmare that I kissed Perez’s cheek. Was it true or was it just—Hold on a few! The memories from last night arose in my mind. I slapped my forehead. What the hell did I get myself into?

When I searched for my glasses on the bedside table, my hand felt a note. I took it along with my glasses then I read what’s written on it. Right, the five rules. I’ve got to get this note to Perez.

Yawning, I walked to the kitchen. I smelled cooking.  With eyes closed and my arms stretching over my head, I sat beside the guy on the island. “HI,” he said.

As if waking up in a trance, my eyes widened. Who’s this guy?! Panic surged through me and I quickly looked at him. I removed my glasses and rubbed my eyes with my hands. Why is he here?

“What are you doing here? Where’s Zelle?!” I demanded.

“Good morning to you, too.” He took a bite of the bacon then smiled at me. And I think, he thinks of himself as the cutes person alive in which he was wrong.

“Naligo na siya. Ang tagal mong magising ah? Late na tayo, babe.”

I took my glasses again but before I could wore them, he stopped my hand. “’Wag mo ng isuot. Mas—“