Above her, she could hear the muffled and distant tone of Ivo's voice, though she could not make out what precisely he was saying. She figured he was on the stern castle deck speaking with Kazumi, and a warm ripple washed over her heart when she could tell that his tone was much more cheerful than it had been.

Alana tore her eyes away from the sea and to her right, to the bow of the ship, ahead of them.

We are almost there... just a matter of time until I lose this world. Maybe I will never be on the sea again and smell the salt in the air. I have been ignoring it as much as I could, but the truth is there. I do not know what is going to happen or if anything will work out... if I will be forgiven. But I know that in my last days with them, I want everything to be great. I want to see their smiles and hear their voices as much as I can before it is too late.

Alana stared into the distance as if she were locking eyes with her parents, vision reaching all the way to the Capital. As if she could see the gold dripping from the royal family like nothing, like petty play jewelry, and the smug looks of pride. Her jaw clenched at the thought of the two sitting on their thrones, after hearing tales of their cruelty and seeing it with her own eyes. Every day that passed solidified her beliefs all the more, and she hoped by the time they arrived in the Capital her resolve would be like titanium.

A hand dropping on the top of her head made her about jump out of her skin with a soft gasp.

"I seem to always find you staring into the ocean, dear." Leopoldo smiled down at her. "Planning to jump, are we?"

Alana puffed out a short chuckle, rolling her eyes away from the man. "Good afternoon, Leo."

"Come now, every time you stare off you look so troubled." Leopoldo urged coming to stand beside her. "If you have any doubts or concerns, come to me."

'Come to me now,' Kazumi's words flashed through her mind instantly heating her cheeks upon the memory.

"I am fine," Alana pushed the thoughts down, buried under a giggle. "I promise."

Alana smiled up to Leopoldo, her grin so dazzling it took his breath away and caused a fluttering in his chest

"Dear," Leopoldo reached out to brush his knuckles along her warming cheekbones. "If you keep smiling at me like that, I won't know what to do with myself."

Alana took his words as a playful chat but shifted her smile to the ocean instead. She watched the glistening light dance on the small waves.

"Has your day been alright?" Alana shifted the conversation.

"How sweet of you to ask," Leopoldo grinned, leaning down against the banister. "My day has been horrible."

Alana's brows quickly dug in, looking at him with concern. Her confusion only grew when she saw his smirk as he propped his chin in his right hand.

"Because I have not been able to spend much time with you." Leopoldo finished.

Alana's neck heated but again told herself that Leopoldo was only teasing her as he usually does.

"Your jokes are cruel, Leo. I thought something was actually wrong." Alana gently scolded.

"It is not a joke," Leopoldo hastily defended, a seriousness shooting through his character. "When I am without my dear sunshine, I feel so horribly out of sorts."

Alana felt the heat spread down her back, suddenly feeling embarrassed by his words. She was shamefully aware of her day so far, waking in bed with Ivo and then the Incident with Kazumi, and now Leopoldo is making her heart speed. Alana felt ashamed to be caught in the interest of many men, or rather have her passion be caught by so many.