71- True Warmth

[[ I am not dead, yay. However, I have been gone for a good minute. I have dealt with death, divorce, losing my job getting a new full-time job, and everything else life has thrown at me these past couple of months. If anyone is still interested in Seasick and still reading, thank you so much. If there is anyone who has lost interest because of my slack, I understand and I apologize for causing that. I love Seasick, and more importantly, I love my readers. I am sorry. I am trying to get back to writing more, I never stop thinking about this adventure. Time is my biggest enemy right now. As I search for more, I hope this chapter isn't too bad, and you guys enjoy it! The story will thicken soon and there is a surprise in the next AN upload right after this! - L RANDY]]

Seven days had passed since the gut-wrenching morning in the cellar. The span of a week had passed by, but time felt excruciatingly slow aboard the swaying pirate ship as if each day was a month. What once was seemed to be long gone, left on the last horizon, with only the eerie silence left to take its place. No bickering, or hearty laughs, nor familiar joshing, or the familiarity of friends. The aura that surrounded Alana was nearly more suffocating than the spirit's hand around her throat. For nearly a week she didn't say more than three words, not only because of her injury but because she was overwhelmed by it all.

During that time Alana was on strict bed rest placed upon her by Leopoldo, who came to her multiple times a day. Each time he brought her tea, claiming it was a recipe to help her sore throat. She believed him as her voice was slowly returning to normal and would nod a simple thanks his way. Leven would also frequently visit, but only to rant about his day. Alana did not mind at all. She knew it was his way of trying to keep her mind off things.

She was finally 'allowed' to leave her cabin on the fifth day when she could form a sentence that didn't die out at the very end. She was surprised to see that business was going as usual but none of the pirates had much to say. Even more surprised to see Ivo, smiling and ordering around lower crew members as if nothing happened.

  It was on the third day that Ivo finally ended his self-imprisonment, returning to work without even consulting Kazumi. How the others saw him was abundantly clear to Alana as not even one looked his way. He was being shunned.

As afraid as she was of his demon, she did not want Ivo shunned or treated differently. She attempted to speak with him on the sixth day but he had shunned her as the others did him. Sparing her a side glance before turning his back to her, ignoring her attempt at conversation completely.

It was driving her crazy.

All she wanted now was that familiarity back. She wished she had never spoken that night, and she blamed herself for everything following her request. That sense of happiness and comfort was her sole motivation for her to keep smiling, to keep trying to piece everything back together before it shatters anymore.

She stood now on the deck of the ship, looking over the starboard banister into the crashing sea. It glistened back at her a blinding reflection of the morning sun against its navy-blue shades. She was pondering what her next few steps would be, how to get the pirates to stop looking at Ivo as if they were plotting his murder.

Maybe I could make them a meal... I have read a book where most bonds are made and mended over a meal... but... I can't even cut potatoes properly.

So maybe I could just to them- but I have tried that...

Her right hand found itself ghosting over her fading bruise wrapped around her neck. She felt hopeless in every aspect with nothing but the knot in the back of her throat as a sure thing these days.