62- The Last Letter

[[ Yes, this is a small and perhaps bad chapter, but for right now, my mind can only focus on so much. And this is not the chapter I made the post about, that is chapter 63 coming up right after this. I hope you enjoy this as much as you can lol- L RANDY]]

"What is this... gods forsaken place?" Silas's disgust was palpable.

"Do you realize you complain too much? Or does it happen without you realizing?" Mamoru taunted.

The two walked the hidden docks of the black market. It was teeming with what Silas would consider undesirables, but to him, anyone but his princess was undesirable. Men caked in grime and scars, women half-dressed, and stalls full of illegal merchandise.

"How could my princess know of such a place?" It almost broke Silas's heart to say it aloud.

"I don't think she does," Mamoru somewhat comforted Silas. "I believe she only knows of about twenty to thirty men here."

He was quick to snatch the comfort away from Silas. Silas cut his eyes to the fox as he pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose.

"Who are we looking for?" Silas grumbled.

"I dunno." Mamoru shrugged.

"What do you mean, you don't know?" Silas stopped in his tracks; arms already crossed.

"Our princess only drew a very bad doodle of what, or who, this next letter goes to. I asked around a bit and that led us here." Mamoru explained fishing into his pocket for the sketch.

It was a jolly roger, or something resembling one, art was not Alana's strong suit. There appeared to be a feather crossing with a bone, and a coin perhaps above the 'X'.

"From what locals say this is a jolly roger of a bandit ship, known for robbing royal vessels."

"Great." Silas's jaw clenched.

The duo walked from stall to stall, Mamoru doing all the talking, showing the picture to each distrustful stall owner. Almost everyone refused to divulge any intel, especially to a man who wore a mask. Everyone but one. They pointed the two to a lone ship at the end of the dock, with a weathered sail and a somewhat matching flag to Alana's doodle.

Approaching the ship, the two could hear shouting on the deck, unfortunately in a language neither spoke.

"How do you suppose we explain the situation?" Mamoru sarcastically asked, under his mask, he wore a cheesy grin.

"I suppose you quit this stupid hunt and take me to the princess at once." Silas countered.

There was a short pause as the two stared at each other.

"No." Mamoru quickly stated and began his march up the gangplank.

Silas rolled his eyes and followed.

"Well, aren't they so welcoming?" Mamoru giggled peering down to the blade against his neck.

"Just shut up, damn fox." Silas griped one blade against his back one against his chest.

Both of them could slaughter this entire ship of men within minutes, they both knew this, but one thing stopped them: Alana.

The crew was shouting in their native tongue, demanding to know why the two boarded the ship.

Mamoru raised a finger in a 'wait a moment' way and slowly reached for his back pocket. The blade against his neck pressed deeper, almost making another giggle come out.

Adorable. He thought as he retrieved the letter, handing it forward.

The crew member hesitated but snatched the letter anyhow.

Upon reading the front his brows furrowed, and he called out for another to take a look.

The translation on the front read: From the girl who helped you find your way.

The two crew members discussed amongst themselves, then one shouted for the others to lower their weapons. Confused, but trusting, they did.

The others came to look at the letter, and more discussion was had. They debated whether or not to tell their captain, but if it were truly the same girl, they knew he would not care. So instead, the crew member who took the letter from Mamoru tore it open and four others read over his shoulder with him as the rest watched on.

After the letter was read, they were even more bewildered. It was a short and simple request, so simple they almost did not believe it to be true. They went back and forth with what they should do. The crew attempted questioning Mamoru and Silas but seeing they did not understand they gave up.

In the end, they concluded on a decision.

"Yes, we help." One spoke in the broken western language.

"Peachy." Mamoru smiled under his mask and turned on his heel.

His business was done, and he had no use for any more conversating. Silas followed after him after a moment of eyeing down the crew, contemplating on murdering them for even thinking they would be of assistance to his princess. He decided against it, dreading to upset Alana when they finally reunite.

Filth...

As the two emerged back onto the main streets, Silas removed his glasses to clean the lenses.

"Who is next?"

Mamoru stretched his arms upward and his back, dropping them to hook his fingers behind his head as he walked.

"That was the last one." His words were like a song soaring through Silas.

"So, you will take me to her now?" Silas sounded more hopeful than he wanted.

"Nope." Mamoru retorted. "Now we wait for her to come to us."