(8 Months) First Time Standing

It was instinctual. All the hairs along the back of her neck stood straight up. The lump in her throat was ever-present and the internal clock told her just how close she was to the end.

The next few steps happened in a matter of seconds.

Jo's phone flashed the notification Home Alarm System: Movement by the pool.

Like a well-oiled machine running soles on adrenaline. She lowered the chef's knife she was holding before she reached under the sink pushing a button and making a secret compartment fall. She took hold of her gun tucking it into her waistband. Jo grabbed the diaper bag before she quickly moved into the living room. Jo placed her finger over her lips before she quickly put the bag over Lizzie's shoulder Lizzie said, "What the hell is going on?"

"Call Sam and Colton now!" Jo said as she picked up the twins putting them in Lizzie's arms,

"Jo, what the hell?" Jo ushered her wife into the garage,

"Go to the neighbors"

"Wha-" Lizzie started, Sam and Colton ran up the driveway,

"What's going on?!" they quickly asked,

"My father is here!"

Colton jumped into action taking a baby. Jo quickly kissed Lizzie, "I love you."Jo pulled the gun from her waistband before she walked back into the house gun darn Sam hot on her heels. She crept on her tiptoes before she heard a familiar voice behind her, "My my how you have grown," she quickly turned and watched as her father fired a round into Sam's chest "Sam!"

Her father cocked her gun at her, "You've never watched your six."

"Don-!"

BANG!

Jo dropped to the floor

BANG!

BANG!

She turned her head to watch her father stumble back falling through the glass of the back door. Her eyes traveled to see Colton's gun pointed before her eyes refocused to the face above her.

Elizabeth,

Jo reached for Lizzie's hands but they were pressed against her chest, Jo's hands were wet as she touched her wife's hands the kind of wet that made your fingers tingle.

Blood.

Lizzie's hands were covered in her wife's blood.

"You stay with me! You hear me, Josephine! You stay with me! We aren't done! I love you! I love you! I love yo-"Jo's eyes slipped closed as blood trickled out of her nose and mouth.

Jo's eyes snapped open as her throat burned with screams. Lizzie was turned towards her one hand on her cheek while the other was on her chest trying to calm her "Hey. Shh, shh"

Jo turned to stare at Lizzie before she felt her chest. Once she saw she was okay she jumped up running to the nursery. Lizzie followed her wife as Jo ran like the house was on fire. When Jo rounded the bin into the nursery Lizzie watched as Jo slid down the wall as sobs wracked her body. Lizzie sat down beside her wife pulling her wife into her. Jo turned to bury her head in Lizzie's chest as Lizzie rocked them side to side. Lizzie kissed Jo's head as she whispered over and over, "You are home. You are with me. You are safe. You are home. You are with me. You are safe." over and over "You are home. You are with me. You are safe." until Jos sobs had subsided.