The Funeral

The service was small, quiet. Nothing unlike what Gerard had expected. Though he really only wanted one person at his funeral, but naturally he didn't come. Why would he? Gerard wouldnt have come if they were in Frank's shoes.

Gerard was dressed up fancy, specially for the person who never arrived, though he had hope- something he sorely lacked when he was alive, hence the funeral.

There was something rather poetic about that moment, a spirit dancing at their funeral, while the priest tells some bullshit story about when they saved a cat from a tree, waiting for him to arrive.

Ferard kept dancing, through the funeral and the sunset and the night. Gerard kept dancing, after the casket was closed and the 6ft hole covered and long after the flowers had been laid down. Lilies. Gerard had never liked lilies.

Frank never came.

After a certain point, however, you can't keep waiting, so Gerard picked themself up and went to visit his beloved, his betrothed, his betrayed.

Frank was sleeping on his ratty sofa in his ratty apartment still wearing his ratty shoes, nothing unlike what Gerard had expected. Gerard gently took the shoes off, manifesting a little bit more physically now that he was next to Frank. He still couldn't be seen, but at least he could interact with the human plane.

Gerard sat on the floor, cross legged, and started to slowly run their hand through the living boy's hair. Frank's hair hadn't been washed in far too long and he smelled of beer and cigarettes, but Gerard didnt mind. He hadn't been much better when he was alive.

They started humming a quiet tune, something they'd never thought of before, and quickly found lyrics to go with the simple melody.

"I've been dancing at my funeral, waiting for you to arrive. I was hoping you'd look beautiful, dancing with tears in your eyes. But nobody came, what a shame, shame, shame"

Two days. It had been two days since Gerard's burial. Two days since they had sung that cursed song to a passed out Frank. Frank had taken that song and ran with it.

Frank had turned the tune Gerard had been humming into a guitar riff, and taken the chorus he had sung and wrote three verses to go with it. He had called Bob Bryar and asked him to write a drum beat, and called Michael Way and asked him to write a bass line for "this song that he heard in a dream".

Gerard watched Frank every minute of every day as he wrote that song, and wrote an entire album for it, and went on tour with the whole wretched thing that had only happened because Gerard had momentary lapse in judgement.

And Gerard showed up to every show. He stood next to Frank and sang his heart out, then did it all again the next day.

Gerard loved all of Frank's songs, how could he not? And as much as they hated playing favourites with their music, Gerard had to admit that "The Funeral" was the song they sang most passionately, because they'd been dancing at their funeral, waiting for Frank to arrive. And they were hoping he'd look beatiful, dancing with tears in his eyes.