We're Never Leaving This Place Alive

TRIGGER WARNINGS- major character death, depression (ive finally learnt to spell that word yay), suicide attempt

Depression is a horrible, horrible thing. It turns you against everyone and everything you love and convinces you that there's no way out of this hole. You find out that rock bottom can be dug through, and that the light at the end of the tunnel is no more than the reflection of your torch.

Party Poison knew that better than anyone.

Party Poison wasn't the type of person you'd think of when you imagine someone with depression. With their bright red hair and their neon yellow mask, they were the last person you'd think of.

But looks don't always match reality.

In fact, they rarely ever do.

So when Party Poison says that they're going to the gas station to get some more hair dye, they know that they're not coming back. The others have no idea.

Poison had been planning this for ages- where to do it, how to do it, when to do it. What would they say to the others before they left? Would they say something really nice to everyone? Or would that be too obvious?

In the end, they decided to say a quick, but definetely not meaningless "love you all" as they left, ray gun hidden safely in its holster.

They decided to entertain themself for once, and actually did go to the gas station. Not to buy anything, just to look at the few boxes of hair dye they had on the shelves, trying to imagine what they'd look like with different coloured hair.

Maybe in another life.

Poison sighed wistfully, walking out of the gas station, mentally preparing themself for what they were about to do.

Until they heard a very familiar voice- the voice of somebody who shouldn't be here, but most definetely was.

"Poison, wait!" he yelled from quite a distance away, and Party Poison did wait. They couldn't exactly leave him there.

"Hey Ghoul, what're you doing here?" they asked, trying their very best to act casual, but failing massively. Fun Ghoul's eyebrows furrowed in concern as Party Poison stood there looking panicked.

"Hey, I wanted to make sure you were ok. You sort of rushed away before anyone got to say anything. Are you alright?" Ghoul explained, and it was at that moment that Poison realised they couldnt kill themself. Not when they had people who cared about them so much. Ghoul would be devastated if anything happened to them. Kobra Kid would be destroyed if anything happened to them. Jet Star would never forgive himself anything happened to them. The Girl would grow up traumatised if anything happened to them.

Party Poison was suddenly very grateful that Ghoul had come after them.

"I'm fine now, just-" they stopped abruptly, not knowing whether or not they were supposed to tell Ghoul.

"Just..."

"Just don't leave me alone. Please?"

"I promise"

-

It had been a year today since Party Poison had almost attempted to take their own life. It had been about ten months since they'd last considered it.

They were still depressed, obviously. something like depression doesn't just go away because people love you. But now Poison knew how to deal with it, and Ghoul had helped them, and even though he didn't know it, Ghoul was the reason why Poison had come home that fateful day.

And now Party Poison was going to the gas station once more, only this time they fully intended to go buy hair dye, but most importantly, they fully intended to come home. Their ray gun was hidden in its holster one again, but for self defense only.

"Hey, I'm going to the gas station, does anyone need anything?" Poison asked, shouting from their place in the doorway. Ghoul appeared from the kitchen to invite himself on the journey, doing as he promised one year ago.

"Yeah I need to pick up some stuff, I'll come with you"

Poison wondered what they had done to get so lucky with Fun Ghoul as the pair intertwined their fingers and walked out of the run down shack the Killjoys called home.

The walk to the gas station was a short one, and Party Poison and Fun Ghoul walked quickly so they were there in no time, holding hands in a comfortable silence.

Or at least, it was silent until the draculoids appeared.

Party and Ghoul grabbed their ray guns and started firing. Draculoids appeared all around them- they were obviously outnumbered and narrowly missing the bright white shots of the dracs ray guns.

That was, until Party saw a jet of light headed straight for Ghoul's back, and they weren't about to let that happen.

"Ghoul!" they shouted, dragging him away and going in the way of the shot in place of Ghoul.

Bad idea.

The dracs left. They turned around walked right back to where they'd come from.

Ghoul looked down and saw Poison laying on the floor, blood flowing out of the wound on their stomach. They looked up and smiled.

"I guess this is me repaying you, don't you think?" they said, squinting their eyes against the burning sun.

"I'm sorry?"

"Don't be"

"That's not what I meant, what do you mean this is you repaying me?"

"You saved me that day Ghoul. I wouldn't be here without you. Just-" Poison interrupted themself with a wheezing cough, wincing at the immense pain it had caused them.

"Just what? Poison what are you on about, when did I save you, what happened?"

"Don't call me Poison. Call me by my real name, please?"

"I, ok then Gerard. What are you on about? I never saved you, you didn't need saving"

"Just dont leave me alone. Please?"

"I promise"

Gerard smiled once more, a real smile, not the ones they'd been forcing for the sake of the others.

They kept smiling, even as their eyes closed, even as their breathing slowed down, even as their heart tried pumping blood that was no longer in their body.

They kept smiling, even as they slipped away, unable to hear Fun Ghoul's pained screams, unable to feel Ghoul shaking their body, desperate for something- a noise, a movement, anything.

There was nothing.