Summertime

Frank POV-

"Frank Anthony Iero get down here right now!" shouts a voice from downstairs. I pull my headphones out of my ears and walk down my stairs to where I heard my mum's voice come from. I enter the living room and see her holding her phone in her hand, her face red with rage.

"Why did I just get a call from Mr Pelissier asking me to tell you to stop flirting with other boys during lessons? Are you gay?" She spits that last word out, looking as if it physically pained her to say that. I quickly shake my head, denying any accusations she throws at me.

"No? So why was I just told that you were sending love letters to boys during lessons? You've been spending a lot of time around Gerard lately, are you two dating?"

"No I swear I'm not gay mum, I'm telling you the tru-"

"Answer the question Frank. Are. You. Gay?"

I keep shaking my head desperately, tears beginning to roll down my cheeks.

"I'm not gay mum. I'm not gay I swear. You- you know I'm not gay mum. I'm not- I'm not gay I swear to-"

"Get out Frank. Pack your bags and get out of my house. Don't come back until you can look me in the eye and tell me that you aren't gay."

I don't believe my ears. Did she just kick me out? I mean, I always knew that she was homophobic but I never thought she would kick me out.

"L- leave? You want me to leave?"

"That's what I said Frank. Pack your bags. And leave."

"But where will I go? I- I don't know where to go?"

"Well then-" my mother looked me dead in the eye "maybe you should have thought of that before you decided to be gay"

———

"Gerard!" I shout, knocking hard on the door. I'm sure I'm a right sight, my eyes swollen and puffy from crying, my hair a mess what with how much I've run my hand through it and my chest and neck red from scratching at it. I pound harder on the door, desperately trying to get Gerard to hear me.

"Gerard please, please let me in. Gerard come on please-"

My fist comes dangerously close to Gerard's face as he opens the door, bleary-eyed from sleep. He takes a look at me and his eyes widen in shock. He ushers me inside, before he finally remembers how to talk.

"What on earth happened to you? Are you alright? Why are you out so late? Are you crying? What happened to your neck? How did you-"

"Gerard calm down, I'll explain in a bit," I say, interrupting my friend's rambling.

Seeing the concern on his face, I almost regret coming to Gerard. I hate making him worry, he's such a great person, and has so many things to deal with already, he doesn't need to deal with my problems too. But I know that I can trust him. He's one of the few people I would trust with my life.

"Please Frank, tell me what happened. I need to know how I can help. You look freezing, do you want a blanket?"

I hadn't noticed how much I was trembling from the cold, despite it being summer. I nod and sit down on the couch, waiting for Gerard to return with a blanket.

"Tell me Frank. Now. What were you doing out at-" Gerard checks the clock when he comes back "11:30?"

I close my eyes and recount the evening's events. I open my eyes when I'm done and see Gerard's eyes glistening with unshed tears. He has such beautiful eyes. A pain stirs in my chest when I see a single tear roll down his face. I wipe it away with my thumb, my palm lingering on his cheek longer than necessary.

"Don't worry Frank, you're safe with me," Gerard says, placing one hand on the back of mine, the other on my cheek, his voice breaking "you can run away with me anytime you want."