CHAPTER 2 BEFORE THE END

POV: Nicolas

After school, I finish my homework and then take a break relaxing outside. The sound of cars driving back to their houses and kids shouting excitingly as they arrive back to their home. I smell the fresh air and smile. I walk back inside and switch on the news and sit down. I watch to see the new updates appear on the screen. I change channels to see what's interesting.

All of a sudden, I get a notification on my phone. I pick it up and read the message. "What? This has got to be a hoax. There's no way." I change the channel back to the news. There seems to be a live stream starting soon. I wait, terrified, having thoughts spin around in my head. Could it be true?

The live stream starts and I listen carefully. The news reporter says "Nadia reporting live at SA Labs. Dr. Kevin has given us notice about the danger of a new virus let loose and is spreading around the world. Lockdown will be announced tomorrow morning at 08:00. Nadia Paper out."

This cannot be happening. I thought we were done with viruses for the year. It shows that history keeps repeating itself. Well, better get prepared. Good thing I didn't throw away my mask.

During lockdown, I heard rumors on the internet that the virus turns people into animals and only affects those who contain no physical illness, disease or disorder. A healthy man would have a chance of being affected but if he contains one of those options, then he would be fine. The symptoms would be different by where they lived. Some would grow hair when they slowly transform. Some would have smooth hard skin. Other's would have scales.

I was terrified by the rumors and hope they weren't true. I hoped that was it was all a false story. I mean, it is close to April fools day. What would happen if I go outside? Will I turn into an animal? If so, then what would I be? Will I remember?

I took my asthma pump and quickly inhaled. I book in an appointment at the hospital to see if I have the virus because I wanted to make sure I didn't. Wait, will my friends and family be affected? What will happen to them? I didn't want to lose the people close to me. I need to contact them.

I first phone my parents to see if they're okay. My mom said she was infected but wanted to tell me at the right time. I was going to lose my mom. I ask if my dad was also infected and she said no. She said "Your father has been diagnosed with cancer. Luckily we went there right in time." I said goodbye and ended the call. I just sat there, back against the wall, knees up but feet down, head in arms, and cried...

*Please vote if you would like another chapter*