Chapter 17: I... did it?

Uh, just a disclaimer, the next 3 chapters are heavily inspired by "Our Promise, Our Future" by JohtoAmour64, but hopefully you guys still like them! Without further ado, here is Chapter 17! Enjoy!

The entire battle arena was quiet in suspense. It had all come down to this. The final match between Ash and Alain was finally about to end.

On the battlefield, Mega Charizard X and Ash-Greninja were having a mental battle. Both were using every ounce of their remaining energy to stay up. Neither one wanted to disappoint their respective trainers at this stage of the competition.

Ash and Alain stared each other down. Both reminisced about the entertaining match that they just had, and they had a fun time doing it as well. Now that it's come to this, they were willing to do anything to win this match.

~~

Clemont and Bonnie were tense, constantly praying for Ash's win. It was a privilege travelling alongside him around the region, and glad they got the chance to experience actual adventure. Because of this, they silently thanked Ash.

Tierno, Trevor and Shauna also wished for Ash to win. Although having only seen him a couple of times, they were fully aware of the extent of his strength. All of them started to look up to him and his strategies, as they all strived to be like him.

Everett and Ryan stood at the top of the arena, arms crossed as they watched the battle unfolding before them. At first, both of them thought that Ash was weak, and that he had more talk than action. However, after experiencing his strength first-hand, they began to realise that he is indeed strong, and they were rooting for Ash to win.

In the VIP box, Professor Sycamore and Diantha were equally intrigued. Both had experienced Ash and Alain in battle, and knew how similar they were in terms of strength. They had fully enjoyed the battle just now, and anticipated the result.

Serena held on tightly to the blue ribbon on her chest area. She knew how much Ash had to go through before he got to this point. Abandoning his training to help her Master Class performance, the pep talk she gave him after his gym battle loss, the support she had given him throughout his whole journey. She had done it all. Adding on the promise he made to her about winning the league, Ash had also done all he could. As his proud girlfriend, she prayed with every ounce of her being, for Ash to win.

~~

Back on the battlefield, Ash gritted his teeth. He was so close to the finish line, he could feel it. All those losses in previous leagues had prepared him for this every moment. He knew Alain was very strong as well, but that did not faze him. He was on the verge of tears, and he shouted.

"Come on Greninja, you can do it! Hang on!"

Greninja, after hearing this, got the extra motivation to hold on just a bit longer. Ash was the first person he actually trusted, and they had gone through so much together. It was to the point where he would put his life on the line for him. He promised to fulfill his trainer's dreams, starting with winning the Kalos League.

The stadium went silent again, with the two pokemon still standing. This went on for a little while more, before...

One pokemon fell to the ground.

Charizard had no energy left, and he went wide eyed, before landing on the ground with a thud. He returned to his original form, and had swirls in his eyes. Ash looked on with disbelief, and the referee's next words confirmed his wildest fantasy.

"Mega Charizard is unable to battle! Greninja is the winner! This means, the winner of this year's Kalos League is... Ash Ketchum of Pallet Town!"

The entire arena was silent for a moment, shocked that Ash managed to beat Alain, whom they thought was unbeatable. Then, they cheered and applauded loudly at the display of strength from both finalists, and the fact that this year's Kalos League was one of the best ones in history. Even Professor Sycamore and Diantha rose up for a standing ovation.