Chapter 49

Gwen's P. O. V:

I wake up to the sound of beeping, and Bruce, Thor and Valkyrie wake up, too. They grab the steering wheels and straighten the ship out before we fly upward, and the majestic, shining city of Asgard appears before us.

 They grab the steering wheels and straighten the ship out before we fly upward, and the majestic, shining city of Asgard appears before us

I had taken photos of Asgard during my previous trip, when Loki was a prisoner. Asgard was still beautiful, despite the fires everywhere.

Val murmurs, "I never thought I'd be back here."

Bruce and I unbuckle before we stagger up to their seats and I lean against the back of Val's seat.

Bruce muses, "Thought it'd be a lot nicer. I mean, n-not that it's not nice. It's just that... it's just that it's on fire."

Val says as she gazes at a quantum energy screen showing the mountains, "Here, over the mountains. Heat signatures. People clustered together. She's coming for them." The image shows lots of red lights huddled together while a bigger blue light faces towards them.

Thor says, "Drop me off at the palace and I'll draw her away."

"And get yourself killed?" Val asks.

"I should go with you," I mutter.

"No. The people trapped down there are all that matters. While I'm dealing with Hela, I need you three to help everyone get off Asgard. Besides, I promised Loki I'd protect you, and, since you were able to stop Hela with your mana cloak last time, she's probably out for revenge. If you face her, she will kill you, then Loki will kill me."

I flick my eyebrow as I say in agreement, "Fair point."

Bruce asks, "How the hell are we supposed to do that ?"

All Thor says in response is, "I have a man underground."

💥💥💥

"Here," Thor says as he pushes a huge energy blaster into the ship. "Now the ship has a gun."

Val says, "I can take it from here."

"Here," Thor says as he holds out some wrapped clothing. "I found this in the armory." He sets it on the ground and starts to back away. "Good luck."

"Your Majesty," Val calls, causing the blonde to pause. "Don't die. You know what I mean."

I grin as I close the hatch and start to raise the ship away from the palace balcony.

As I fly the ship, Bruce sitting next to me, Val dons the white and silver ceremonial Valkyrie armor with the blue cape and sheathes her dragon fang blade, before gripping the handle of the gun and aiming it to the open door of the ship.