18: The Village

The howls of the wolves were especially clear in the empty valley at night.

Xie Zhen trembled and subconsciously approached Li Yu.

They were both children, and although Li Yu was more mature than she was, he couldn't help but be afraid. Now the last of the western sun was gone, and the woods soon grew dark, and the cold night light fell through the leaves on the ground at their feet, sprinkling the ground with silver dust. There was no light around them, and they could only see the road in front of them by the light of the moon.

Li Yu did not hesitate this time and held her hand, "Let's find a place to hide."

Xie Zhen looked around, afraid that a beast might suddenly pop out from a corner. She had never seen wolves, but when other parents threatened their children, they said they would let the wolves take them if they didn't listen, and she kept that in mind and was afraid of animals like jackals and tigers and leopards.

After walking for a while, probably attracted by the smell of blood on Li Yu's body, the howls of wolves grew closer and closer.

Her thin legs were sore from walking, but she dared not say she was tired, because Li Yu was even more pitiful than she was and he was wounded. She blinked, trying to hold back the tears in her eyes, "Big brother Xiaoyu, are you still in pain? Do you want me to carry you?"

Li Yu shook his head without thinking. "No need."

He was a boy, and older than her, so how could he let her to carry him? And now it doesn't hurt much. Since Xie Zhen's so stupid and thin, carrying him on her back will only slow her down.

Not far ahead was a village, with smoke rising from the chimneys of several houses. If they reached the village before the wolves, they might be able to save their lives.

After Li Yu told this idea to Xie Zhen, she immediately got excited and walked faster than before, "Then let's go quickly!"

Li Yu nodded and followed her.

In fact, he couldn't even move anymore. He had lost too much blood, and he had already reached his limit. He felt the sight before him grow more and more blurry, and his vision became more and more dim. Finally, his legs gave way and he fell to the ground.

Xie Zhen heard the sound and turned her head, and fear and helplessness surged through her. She burst into tears.

She squatted in front of Li Yu and called out, "Brother Xiao Yu, Brother Xiao Yu ..."

Li Yu didn't even have the strength to look down on her. He closed his eyes and said, "You can leave by yourself."

Xie Zhen shook her head, "Let's go together."

She was a child and did not understand any logic. All she knew was that they were good companions. If she wanted to leave, she could only leave together. If she wanted to live, she could not leave him behind. Even if Li Yu walked slower and slower, she had never thought of abandoning him and running away, leaving him here alone.

As the wolves drew nearer, she look back and see, through the misty tears, eyes glowing green in the distance.

She bit her lower lip and frantically wiped away her tears with her sleeve. She grabbed Li Yu's arm and carried him onto her back. After she saw the road clearly, she used the last of her strength to move forward.

Li Yu's voice was weak and filled with disappointment. "Do you want to die?"

She shook her head, choking, "I don't want to die, and Brother Xiaoyu can't die either. We're going home together."

She ran out of breath and slowly lost her strength, but she still refused to let go of Li Yu. Li Yu's legs were dragging on the ground. Just as he was about to persuade her to give up, she slipped and fell down the hill with him.