Chapter 35

(Art from @9292gooi on Twitter)

Sho Tachi was the guy that was friends with (Y/n) when they were little but that used to mock her all the time. You have a pic of him in chapter 22 :)

The way back to Konoha was definitely better than when they went to the Land of River. Kakashi didn't pressure her to go fast, he made more stops to eat, rest, and even stops to bask in the beauty of the nature around them. He even encouraged (Y/n) to take out her camera and continue taking pictures, which much to his dismay, ended up having him as the subject. 

In any case, they reached Konoha a few days later, right in the morning,+ and right on time to stop by the dango shop and eat breakfast. However, they had to report both to Kurva and the Hokage first. And although it put (Y/n) in a slightly sulking mood, she quickly forgot about it and about how hungry she was the moment she received Kurva's and the Third's pay.

She had never had so much money on her hands or owned so much money. Hell, she hadn't even seen so much money together. She couldn't stop counting the money inside the envelope, getting astounded every time she did. And every time that her eyes widened and her mouth fell agape, Kakashi's lips turned into a smile. Happy to see her happy. But most importantly, happy to see how she was growing as a person. How far she had come from that lost girl who cried every few nights by the river, only accompanied by stolen stuff. He was very happy to have been able to see her grow, and see how much more she would grow and succeed. But more than any of that, he was proud of her.

"Let's go to the dango place!" she said happily, wanting to spend some of her new money. 

Kakashi didn't say anything but gladly followed her into the place where she ordered two sets of dango: one of her favorite flavors, and the other one a mix of new ones she had yet to try. And if she had been happy after getting her money, when she walked out of the place with the dango in her hand she was even merrier. 

(Y/n) closed her eyes when the sweet taste flooded her mouth. The food made her so happy that she unconsciously made a closed-eye smile while shaking her hands in happiness. She opened her eyes after a little while, still making a subtle and almost imperceptible little happy dance. She then bumped Kakashi's arm with hers.

"Do you want to try it?" she asked, gently covering her mouth while she chewed on the sweet. But he shook his head in denial "Right," she nodded, taking another bite of the food "You don't like sweet things," she remembered.

"Only you," he muttered lowly and with a smile, almost a smirk, making her choke on the dango "And the sweetness off your lips," he said, suddenly holding her chin and quickly pecking her lips before he pulled his mask up again as if nothing happened.

His words had already taken her by surprise, but his actions had left her completely speechless and almost even thoughtless. It made Kakashi's smirk widen.

"Might have to eat more sweets from now on..." she managed to say something to not look as flustered as she really was. Kakashi chuckled lowly, and the sound of it only made her legs wobblier.

"Or, you could just ask me to kiss you"

"But you'd be blushing all the time if I did that" she answered, trying to assert her dominance.

"I'm not the one who looks like a tomato right now," he said, but (Y/n) gasped all of a sudden. She didn't have her attention on him anymore, and Kakashi followed her gaze to see what had caused that reaction.

"Watermelons!" she said all of a sudden, rushing towards a small shop that was selling watermelons. Kakashi's brows arched and he blinked a few times, utterly confused "Look at them! They're huge!" she said, looking at the green and yellowish huge fruits.