Chapter 13

Tonight wasn't as silent. A distant and constant sound of a cricket nearby the alley I was waiting for Kakashi echoed through the walls. It made me lose my focus on the twinkling stars and instead it fell on my surroundings, trying to find the insect. At first because of its annoyance, but later on as a way of making time until Kakashi came to pick me up. After all, he seemed he would be late today as well.

I tried to silently approach the source of the sound until I came across a big trash can. I decided to kneel and take a look under it, thinking I would finally find the cricket.

"Hello, (Y/n)," a woman's voice sounded behind me when I had crouched completely down.

My body flinched, spooked out, and I almost fell face flat to the floor as I had definitely not heard any step getting closer, and I was really paying attention to the sounds around me in order to find the damn cricket. However, the fact that I recognized the voice made me relax right after the jump. I stood up, dusted myself off, and turned around to face Kurva, the purpled/silver-haired woman with the mahogany kimono.

"Have you thought about my offer?" she asked with a faint smile that didn't reach her half-lidded eyes.

"I uhm... you didn't even tell me what was the job about" I sweatdropped with a crooked smile which for some reason made her chuckle with her eyes fully closed.

"You're right, I'm sorry, we didn't have much time for proper introductions" she began, opening her eyes as her smile got softer and calmer "I work a small business, and I normally employ my girls personally"instead

"Your girls?" I asked, finding her words odd and not quite understanding what she could mean. She didn't say anything for a while. Instead, her thin lips stretched more into a smile that this time did reach her eyes but that even then continued to have a cool look.

"You see, not every girl would be suited for this job"

"I think you got the wrong person then. I'm not really good at anything, let alone a special job like you're suggesting" I admitted, once again with a sheepish smile and kind of weirded out by this whole situation, and especially by Kurva's cool yet commanding demeanor.

"On the contrary, sweetheart. I told you, I've been watching you" she said, making my hairs stand, yet still, I couldn't feel anything in me that made me want to flee. Was something wrong with me? Should I follow my head and leave this place even if it was without Kakashi? Or should I follow my instinct and stay? "You're pretty, kind, humble, and easy to talk to. You're perfect for this job, (Y/n)" she spoke when she saw I wasn't talking or moving.

"You still haven't said what's the job about?" I asked, arching a brow without even paying attention to any of the words she said. I clearly didn't even consider them the least true.

"Let's say that my business is a kind of an escort company," she said, her soft smile turning into a small smirk as she paced slowly around.

"Uh, I really think you got the wrong girl now" I giggled awkwardly as I started seeing Kurva with different eyes. Her beautiful appearance started to make sense now "I don't do that type of work"

"It's not that type of escort. Let me explain," she said, stopping and tilting her head to get my approval. I looked at her, unsure and suspicious, but I ended up nodding. She started to calmly pace around the alley again "There is normally a variety of groups of rich and well-mannered men that pay for my girls to have dinner with them in meetings and reunions. They only have to sit there, look pretty, and engage in the conversation when asked to"

"I... really don't think—" I began, still unsure.

"I know what it sounds like," she chuckled, interrupting me "But I assure you, none of my girls has ever had a hand laid on them, unlike you in your underpaid and dangerous job" she said, looking at the cast in my arm with a smile "Surrounded by drunk men without any security besides the Anbu and patroling jonins that are usually too late" I swallowed and looked away as I felt my cast with my other hand. She did have a point "All of my girls have personal security that is vigilant for them to ensure their safety" she gave me a minute to properly think about it.