Chapter 30

(Art from @N_nok)

Once more, Soo-Yun extended his hand in front of (Y/n). But she looked at him, not understanding why he needed her hand now.

"Palm reading," he explained. She still didn't understand, but she decided to trust him and carefully placed her hand on his. He wrapped his hand around her fingers and turned it around, leaving it in between his bigger and softer ones.

"This is the line of life," he said, tracing a line with his thumb around hers. He continued to look at her hand, slowly starting to make her nervous "You're strong... stronger than you think. But I see loneliness," he added the last part softer, touching that part of her hand delicately as well. She felt stabbed right through her chest, but the softness of his caresses managed to soothe her. His thumb moved somewhere else on her palm and caressed it as well "You're very smart. You've learned to be. But you're too gentle and tolerant," her fingers flinched and tensed when she remembered Kakashi saying similar words to her some time ago. But again, Soo-Yun's caresses made her hand relax "This line here," he said, tracing a smaller line "it indicates great talents, and you'll make a career out of them. In fact," he said, tracing another line "I see a lot of success and wealth," this time (Y/n)'s brows arched, unbelieving "but you'll be accompanied. Perhaps, you already are," his eyes flicked from her hand to her eyes for a second "Now the good part," he said, his smile widening and looking at her eyes with that mischief of his "This is the line of love," he explained, caressing her hand with both thumbs. A chill ran down her spine while her cheeks started to heat up. She didn't quite believe in these things, but now she couldn't help but get curious, especially when his smile widened "The shape indicates that you'll find purely true love," he then chuckled "You're shy and passive in love, at least for the most part. Although it could be blamed to inexperience," her cheeks previously warm were now fuming with crimson blush "Your love is willing to sacrifice everything," he said, suddenly getting serious again "This..." his brows seemed to furrow while his fingers caressed her palm once more "It usually means rebirth. You two will grow together" he finished, taking his fingers to hers. They lingered in her hand for a while longer before he finally leaned away from her "What a lucky man uh," he chuckled, standing up and keeping the books away into their respective bookcases.

(Y/n) remained seated, still blushing madly while thinking about everything he said. She wanted to believe him, but that would mean believing these things were true. 'Can someone like me even have someone like that?' she thought, remembering when he also said she would be rich. It made her lose any hope.

"C'mon, we should head back or we'll miss dinner," he said, smiling softly at her. And when she stood up, he handed her a book. This time it was a leathery book with a cover as thin as its pages. She looked at the book and then at him, confused yet again "It has a little bit of everything I told you. Hand reading, tarot, myths and legends, ... It's entertaining, even if you don't believe in it," he explained.

"Thanks," she said, amazed by the ancient looks of the book "Aren't you afraid to give it to me?"

"I trust you," he said, leading the way back to the horse "And as I said, things in the palace can get boring... Even more now..."

"Why?" she asked before once again Soo-Yun helped her up the horse.

He quickly sat behind her again and together they rode back to the palace. He didn't answer her question until a while later. With a frown and sharp eyes, he pondered about it instead. He didn't know if he should tell her, and the matter itself bothered him enough to provoke that change in his expression.

"Each of the operations from Suna's ninjas has been spoiled by our forces," he started.

"That's good... right?" she said, not understanding why he didn't sound happy about it. There was a minute of silence.