Chapter XII

Just outside the vast waters of Lake Laogai. Team Avatar has stopped on a tiny island in the center of the lake. Aang is embracing Appa, happy upon reuniting with him. "I missed you more than you'll ever know, buddy." Aang sighs happily as Momo flies into Appa to hug him too. Appa licks Aang, which causes Aang to laugh.

Sokka approaches Katara, Zuko, and Toph. "Look, we escaped from the Dai Li. We got Appa back. I'm telling you; we should go to the Earth King now and tell him our plan. We're on a roll." Sokka states excitedly.

"One good hour after weeks of trouble isn't much of a roll," Katara argues.

"We can build on it. If we want to invade the Fire Nation when the eclipse happens, we'll need the Earth King's support." Sokka retorts.

"What makes you think we'll get it? I don't know if you've noticed, but things don't usually go that smoothly for our little gang." Toph questions.

"I know, but I've got a good feeling about this. This time will be different." Sokka reassures.

"Sokka, Long Feng is in control of the city. His conspiracy with the Dai Li is too powerful. I think we should just keep flying and leave this horrible place behind us." Katara argues with her brother.

"I'm with Sweetness. I've seen enough of Ba Sing Se. And I can't even see!" Toph states as she raises her arms and opens her eyes wide.

Aang flies over to the four. "But now that we have Appa back, nothing is stopping us from telling the Earth King the truth. About the conspiracy and the War." Aang agrees with Sokka.

"See? Aang's with me." Sokka smiles as he puts his arm around the younger Alpha.

"It's the whole reason we came here in the first place. We have to try." Sokka reasons.

Katara thinks for a moment. "Well, I guess if the Earth King knew the truth, things could change," Katara mutters while Sokka and Aang smile.

Toph stands up. "I don't trust the new positive Sokka." She points at Sokka in an accusing manner.

"Long Feng brainwashed you, didn't he!?" Toph shouts while Zuko pushes the girl's arm down and makes a sound of disagreement.

Aang notices a few ships in the lake. "That's probably the Dai Li searching for us! So?" Sokka questions as he looks at Zuko and Katara.

Katara and Zuko look at each other as they think for a moment before looking at Sokka.

"Why not?" Zuko shrugs while Katara grins and Sokka cheers as he hugs his boyfriend.

"Let's fly!" Katara cheers determinedly.

They fly toward the Palace, now with no saddle, holding onto Appa's fur for dear life, especially Toph. "Can we please buy a new saddle? Riding bareback is terrifying!" Toph cries as she buries her face in Appa's back while Zuko holds her down to the bison's back as he too holds on for dear life.

They get closer to the palace. "There it is! That whole thing is the palace! The Earth King's chamber should be in the center!" Sokka shouts.

"We have to be careful. Long Feng's probably warned the king that we're coming." Katara warns.

"Why would you assume that? If you ask me, I think we're just gonna sail right in and-." Sokka then cuts himself off with a shout of fear and surprise as a giant rock almost hits them.

"What was that?" Toph shouts.

"Surface-to-air rocks! More incoming!" Sokka shouts as he notices more coming. They dodge a few more rocks. One gets launched right at Aang, but he destroys it with his hand. Another is launched at them head-on, but Aang slices it cleanly in two by swinging his staff at the rock to augment his earthbending.