Chapter XXVIII

Soon enough, they were getting ready. Zuko's hands were visibly shaking even when Sokka tried his best to help calm him down. "It's going to be okay," Sokka reassured as he hugged Zuko, the Omega sighed before hugging Sokka back, squeezing him while the Water Tribe warrior pressed his nose to Zuko's scent gland, doing his best to memorize every tang and sweetness that was the Omega's scent.

"Come with me for a minute." Sokka urged as he grabbed Zuko's hand and led the man away from the rest of the group, everyone else continued to prepare as the two walked over to a secluded part of the camp.

"Sokka? What is it?" Zuko questioned while the Alpha quickly grabbed Zuko's face and kissed him, causing the firebender to shriek slightly in surprise before kissing his boyfriend.

When Sokka broke them apart, Zuko chuckled. "That was unexpected?" The man snickered while Sokka smiled at his boyfriend.

"Zuko, I've wanted to ask you something, for a long time actually..." Sokka stated as he slowly let go of the firebenders face, he reached into his pocket and pulled out the finished betrothal necklace. Zuko looked at the accessory questioningly before looking up at Sokka, the man smiling nervously.

"Sokka?" Zuko questioned slowly, before the Alpha displayed the hand-carved stone to Zuko, the stone was carved in a smooth and perfect circle, while the carved insignia was that of two swords guarding a seemingly dancing flame.

"Zuko, I wanted to ask you to marry me," Sokka stated while Zuko goes wide-eyed as he stares at the necklace.

"That's... It's an engagement necklace... right?" Zuko asked softly while Sokka nodded, smiling.

"Well, actually I guess it's more of a promise than anything." Sokka chuckled nervously.

"A promise?" The firebender questioned.

"A promise that after the war, even if it takes us another 20 years, that we'll be together, that we'll get married, that we'll mate if we haven't already that is, and that once we're ready, we'll have our life together," Sokka explained, his gaze trained to the ground while he rubs his neck sheepishly. Only to look up and see tears welling in Zuko's eyes.

"Zuko?! What's wrong-." Before Sokka can finish, Zuko launches himself into Sokka's arms, wrapping his arms around the Alpha's shoulders as he kisses him passionately. Sokka falters for a second before he wraps his arms around Zuko's waist and kisses him back with just as much force.

When the two pull away, they both pant slightly as they press their heads together, both enjoying the warmth and comfort the other brings. "Yes," Zuko states softly while Sokka gasps as his eyes open.

"Yes? That's a yes?" Sokka asks hopefully, his grip on Zuko's waist tightening as the man only continues to grow more excited.

"Yes, it's a yes. Yes, to marrying you, yes to mating with you, and yes to having our life together once all of this is over." Zuko smiled while Sokka stared at the man for a moment before he cheered loudly, raising Zuko into the air by his hips and spinning them around, the two laughing together while Sokka continued to howl in excitement.

Zuko continued to laugh, even after Sokka put him back on the ground, pressing their foreheads together. "Does that me I get the honor of seeing you finally wear this?" Sokka questioned while Zuko snickered and nodded.

Sokka grinned as Zuko displayed his neck, allowing the Alpha to clip the collar on his neck. The Water Tribe warrior preened at the sight of the blue accessory decorating Zuko's neck gorgeously, the deep blue and silver contrasting his pale skin and black hair amazingly.

Sokka wrapped his arms around Zuko's waist again, pulling the Omega as close to him as possible while Zuko kissed Sokka's neck in return. "How long were you planning this for?" Zuko asked while Sokka hummed in thought.