38

Leo watched the shadow creature rise to its feet amid a chaotic mass of black nothingness. What he saw could no longer be regarded as Lukas - it had lost all resemblance to the boy he knew, physically and emotionally.

It was similar to what had emerged during the Ascension Exams, in the fight with Erik. Back then, it had appeared uncontrolled and wild, but something was different now. Its form was still confusing to gaze upon, with rippling dark energy swirling all around it, forming inconspicuous shapes. But this black mass swirled much closer to its body, less than half the extent it had reached in the arena. Parts of its appearance were different too – more succinct. There were deep purple auras surrounding its hands, almost claw-like in shape. From its back, a trail of the same purple substance emerged, flowing for a few inches before dissipating into the creature's own darkness.

Leo struggled to conceive the true form of the figure – it was as if it didn't follow any of the natural laws of the world around it. To think this was still Lukas was inconceivable; the Ferlandian's never really understood the power they were trying to control.

The eerie Chosen form of The Leech still enveloped him, making the face-off between the two monsters a sight to behold. Leo was glad his presence was unknown, but wondered whether he was at a safe enough distance from the altercation.

After Erik had arrived and engaged in combat, Leo fled the scene. Should any other Ferlandian's arrive, his presence with Lukas and Ellis was unexplainable - especially as he had allowed them to escape. Though Leo never wished death on anyone, Erik's untimely demise had tied up a loose end and because of it, he would likely be able to resume his position in the Ferlandian military as normal. Something had kept him from completely fleeing however – perhaps he was too curious about Lukas and Ellis' fates to leave it up to his imagination. Whether they managed to escape through the tunnel, or whether Erik defeated them, he had to know the outcome. The Leech's arrival was something he had never expected, nor the appearance of this other-worldly being.

The Leech opened his mouth to talk but second-guessed. His usual mocking demeanour was absent – realising too that he was no longer dealing with a naïve young boy. For the first time, The Leech appeared totally alert – even intimidated by the emotionless thing that stood before him.

After a few tense seconds, the dark creature tilted its head to the side, as if regarding the Ferlandian that stood before him. It extended a clawed hand towards a nearby building, a section of the dark mass peeled away, stretching in the same direction.

Leo watched apprehensively, curious why the shadows weren't heading towards The Leech. The moment they came into contact with the shadow of the building, cast by the select few rays of sunlight streaming into the cavern, Leo blinked and the creature disappeared. I didn't even see it move, Leo thought to himself as he scanned the surroundings, but there was no sign of it – only a few wisps of purple mana remained, which also soon faded to nothingness.

Another blink and the creature manifested behind The Leech. This time Leo witnessed it appear from shadows, almost instantaneously, as if it were appearing from thin air. It swung a mana encased claw, tearing a large chunk out of The Leech's aura and knocking him forward before he even noticed the creature's presence.

The Leech growled in shock and anger, obliterating the spot where the creature stood with his cape, but it had already disappeared again. "What are you?" He cried out, turning around and around worriedly.

Leo watched as the creature appeared again, this time hanging from the underside of a stone overpass extending across a street. It crouched upside-down - as if the laws of gravity didn't apply to it – staring at The Leech like a predator regarding its prey.