37

The wooden raft drifted ever closer to the exit tunnel – which now lay only a stones throw away. Another few minutes and they'd be away; free from the prison that Caldara had become, free from the Ferlandia's rule.

"My family name?" Lukas said slowly.

"Yes, the General kindly looked into what happened to your family," The Leech purred, appearing unfazed by their imminent escape.

"Tell me now," Lukas insisted, unable to suppress his desire, though he had no expectation The Leech would reveal anything.

"How about we make a deal," The Leech said, "you surrender yourself to my custody and I'll tell you everything you'd like to know."

"How do I know you're not lying? You probably don't know a thing."

"Let's just say, the story starts and ends in Merton," The Leech said simply.

Lukas immediately recognised the name of the town Tobias had rescued him from as a baby, something that only his old mentor would know.

"Lukas don't-" Ellis stopped, seeing the pain in Lukas' eyes.

"I need to know," Lukas croaked, his voice wavering, "you stay on the boat – sail to freedom my friend. Maybe one day we will meet again." He turned to Ellis with a forced smile, before stepping from the wooden decking onto the stone bank.

He had yearned for freedom for so long, but all that seemed to dissipate when presented with the sliver of a chance that he could learn any sort of detail about his parents.

There was a splash and a dull thud from behind, followed by the sound of stone scraping on stone.

"Don't think you can get away from me that easily." Ellis joined Lukas on the stone promenade as the raft ground to a halt.

"You don't owe me anything, why give up your shot at escape?" Lukas said. He felt reassured by the support but didn't want to lose another friend through his own personal choices.

"This is my decision, don't try and talk me out of it," Ellis stared resolutely at The Leech, not betraying any emotion.

"How touching, the peasant made friends with the monster," The Leech chuckled, which sounded more like a raspy cough than laughter. "Perhaps you lower class are more closely related to non-humans than to nobles. You know, I lied about taking you into custody, I'm actually-"

"I know," Lukas interrupted sharply, "you're going to kill me."

The Leech glared.

"If you are going to kill me, you may as well tell me what you know about my family," Lukas said calmly. Somehow, in the face of this monumental enemy, Lukas was composed. Perhaps it was his unwavering desire to discover who his parents were, that overwhelmed his want to escape. Or maybe it was because Ellis was at his side; a true friend of the likes he had never had before. Someone who would stick around for him at the risk of their own safety.

"That would be doing exactly what you want," The Leech said, still standing over Erik's unmoving body, "so why would I tell you?"

"Let's reach some sort of compromise, if we defeat you-"

The Leech rasped again with laughter but Lukas continued undeterred.

"IF we defeat you, you tell me everything I need to know." Lukas had already crossed fists with this foe and hadn't faired too poorly. Yes, their fight was interrupted but he'd managed to land a few blows. With Ellis at his side, maybe they stood a chance.

The Leech reach into a fold within his black robe and pulled out a folded parchment. "This letter contains everything The General learnt; it is the reason I know what I know." He brandished it tantalisingly in front of them.