"As it should." I playfully smack his shoulder.

"Let's go pickup Sarah." I declare suddenly.

"Uh, why?" he studies my face.

"Because she's going through a hard time right now and could use a friend or two. I want you two to get along better."

"I'm just not feeling her vibe. She doesn't know how to be chill; she just wants eyes on her all the time."

"She's not half bad once you get to know her. There's more to her than the party side that you've witnessed."

"Tell me Kie, what would we even do?"

I look down trying to think of something. "Um, I haven't thought that far ahead to be honest." I briefly make eye contact with him.

"I'm not picking her up if we don't know what we're going to do. She's your friend anyway, not mine."

"How about you take me home then and I'll just tell her to come over?"

I feel his eyes on me. "I don't want to just sit around while you guys have girl talk. I'll see if John B wants to do something."

I quickly turn towards him. "Since when did you start hanging out with John B?"

"I don't know. He's always been solid in my book and it's nice to do guy things occasionally."

I smile at him. "Is this your subtle way of letting me know we need time apart?"

"You know you're my best friend and there's no one I'd rather spend time with, but it's nice having a guys' night just doing dumb shit."

"Since when does my Pope do dumb shit?" he looks at me and smirks.

"We don't know everything about each other Kie. It's better that way sometimes."

"Mhm. I'll make sure to have a talk with John B next time I see him."

"So, am I taking you home or dropping you off at Sarah's?"

"You can take me home. I need to wash this sand off me before I see anyone else." We both get up and head towards his truck.

As Pope is closing the door I ask, "Do you think JJ's dad is abusive?"

"Why do you ask?" he looks at me after starting up the truck.

"I was on the phone with him that day we had that fight and I heard yelling in the background. I think it was his dad and he rushed to get off the phone saying he had to take care of something."

"His dad is an alcoholic so I wouldn't put anything past him." He puts the truck in drive and pulls off.

I look down and start to twiddle my fingers absentmindedly. "I just think that any parent who can put their hands on their child with intent to hurt them deserves every bad thing coming their way."

"You and JJ have gotten close then I assume." I look away from my hands and over at him.

"Why are you still so adamant about me not being friends with him?"

"I would just be careful about who I get close to if I were you. Not everyone deserves to get to know you."

I turn towards the window. "Well, I'll be the judge of that. If you would get off your high horse and just get to know him, even a little bit, you'll see that he's great."