Chapter 2.

Jade

I went into work a couple days after we found out Rick shut down.  I needed to clear some things up before I leave for a while.  I gathered the new models, I presented the portfolio to the designers and then I said my goodbyes. 

Supposedly I was going to Hawaii when in all honestly I was going to stay at a run down apartment and work for the couple down in the diner who helped me when I first ran away. 

As I was leaving familiar eyes caught mine, ones I remember long ago.  Someone who was by me 24/7, someone who was paid to stay by my side for that long. 

I think they recognized me as well. 

I duck my head, my breathing escalating and I continue listening to Meghan, my photographer.  I pretend I didn't notice him, 

My old bodyguard, Rift, who followed me around until I was 14 and the one who lost me a long time ago.  Only because he had one slip up and I was out of there before he could raise his hand. 

I wonder if he still works for my Father.

His eyes follow me with my every move and I keep my cool for a very long time until I'm out of the building.  When I hop into my car I pull out of the parking lot, racing home in a frantic measure.

I call Nikolai and he answers immediately, "remember Rift?" I call out to the Bluetooth. 

"Yeah, your old dumbass bodyguard." Nik responds.

"He saw me, but I couldn't tell if he was still working for my father or not.  But if I got him fired he's probably even more angry then I remember," I take a deep breath. 

The car slightly slips as I take a left turn.  The icy roads are horrendous.

I hear a lot of movement on the line and a rattle like he's trying to distract Lexi from his worried tone.  "Are you on your way home, baby?" He asks, I hear his slight panic.

"Yes, could you get the bag, the emergency one from our room."

"Already on it." I hear him mutter, "Soph could you please just watch Lex for a moment." I hear her voice and then I hear Nikolai ascending the stairs.

"Everything's set, drive safely please.  Everything will be okay, I'll get you there tonight after dinner."

I nod even though he can't hear it, but he knows. 

"Okay." I say softly, "I'll see you soon, I love you."

He sighs, "I love you baby." The call ends and I continue onward. 

—————

Dinner was loud and disastrous as always, but everyone has so much to talk about and we didn't have enough time to get it all out. 

Everyone told us about their days because apparently I'm going on a business trip and I won't see them for a while.  It's not entirely false. 

As 9:00 o'clock rolls around I'm making my way through all of their rooms, saying goodnight and goodbyes. 

I started with the youngest, Lexi is already asleep but I give her a kiss on the forehead and I comb back her curly hairs. 

When I go into Ollie's room, expecting him to be asleep, he's curled under the covers with a flashlight and a book. 

I smile and shut the door behind me making sure he hears it, and when he does he turns the flashlight off going perfectly still.

"I know you're awake Oll." I say softly and sit beside him on the bed.  "Come on baby, you should be sleeping."