17. Paranoia

It was the same

It was the same. The police arrived at her home ten minutes after she made the call, and they began to search her home. Mostly outside, where the darkness acted as a vortex, pointing their bright flashlights in shadows, finding nothing. Seren expected that — the possibility of him still being there, on her porch was so improbable.

She got the sense that he was long gone, but was satisfied that she would be searching, disinter the dirt and ground for him, as though he was still there.

Seren explained what occurred to the police. From the creepy heart-shaped music box to his knife dragging above her spine. Her upper lip curled when she thought about it again, sickened by his actions, and how she didn't dare move to defend herself.

When she really considered the possibilities, there was nothing she could have done about it. He had the upper hand, he had been towering above her, her stomach flat against her bed with her back in view. She wouldn't have made it out of her room alive, especially when running against his long strides.

Chills feasted at her body, shivering in abhorrence. He chose to leave her breathing, he was battling with himself, the knife had already been skimming her warm back, threatening to sink deep into her pristine flesh. To rip her from limb to limb, to finally execute what he had been daydreaming about those past few weeks.

To watch her bleed to death on her mattress, leaving an unknown massacre for the police to come to. Insects and bugs already beating them to her cold lifeless body, eating away at her remains.

Seren shut her eyes, her stomach wringing itself like a dish rag, threatening to regurgitate the absent food in her stomach.

She still felt the presence of the knife on her back, it left behind an unforgettable burning sensation. It reminded her that she was lucky to be alive and to be going on with her days like everything was normal.

Even after two days of his appearance, she still couldn't get her mind off it.

"Sorry if it's a little cold in her, this house is kinda on the older side." Hoseok bashfully apologized, shutting his front door.

Seren chuckled, holding onto her purse. "No, it's actually nice in here. My house always gets so hot." She said, her eyes carefully studying the inside of his home.

It was their third date, and it may have been completely asinine of her to agree to visit his home, but Seren was more than happy to even be invited.

Hoseok assured her that if she was too uncomfortable with the idea of being at his place, then she didn't have to agree, and they could do something else. She couldn't pass up on his thoughtful proposal. Hoseok mentioned how he wanted to be the one to cook a meal for them, and she was fond of the idea.

His home was a one story, and everything so was neat. There wasn't a modicum of dust anywhere on his tables or items. It was truly impressive, it made her feel more than comfortable to be in a home that was well taken care of.