"So you think that Agent McKenna is behind all of this?"

"I doubt it. He assured me that he knew nothing. And I can tell he didn't lie. But I can't press him again anyway because he's disappeared."

"Doesn't that suggest he's hiding from you?"

"I don't think so. If he wanted to hide, he would have done so the first time I visited. However, he did not then. And they fired him as soon as he started asking about me. I think other people in the agency are involved. Maybe this Danforth has people there?"

"What are you going to do?"

"We need to find McKenna. He's my only route to the agency. But put it this way, it is starting to make me think we may never find him..."

"Or at least not alive."

"What you said."

"Okay. I'm starting to look for him anyway. Shit. I was just about to pack for Hawaii."

"Don't be such a grumbler! What will you look for in Hawaii?"

"Beach. Women. Men. Alcohol. Whatever."

Vanessa laughed. "Bring me a Hawaiian wreath," she said, giggling, but froze a split second later.

Rebecca stood behind her. "Nessa, why are you taking so long?"

"Becks..." Vanessa hung up the phone and dropped her arm to her body. "You... How long have you been here?"

"I just came in. Why?"

Vanessa breathed a sigh of relief.

"What's up, Nessa? You've been acting so weird lately. What about your disappearing? Where have you been? Why didn't you call? We thought you'd never come back."

"I wouldn't leave without saying goodbye, Becks."

"Is that what you came back for? To say goodbye?"

"Not yet."

"But you're leaving?"

"Someday, maybe. But not now."

"You scare me."

"Don't think about it." Vanessa put on her clothes during this time. "Come on, let's have coffee. That's what you're here for, right?"

The two returned to the living room to the others and made coffee. It was a long time since everyone was in one place without trouble.

***

Two hours later, Rebecca, Jackson, and Kristen left the apartment.

While Cole was showering, Vanessa went onto the terrace and leaned against the railing. How she wished she could just forget about everything. To stop thinking. To stop trying to solve the mystery. To stop trying to figure out how to tell Cole the truth...

"Why are you so thoughtful?" Cole joined her.

Vanessa turned to him and just sighed, closing her eyes.

"You're not going to tell me, are you?"

"Everything is okay, Cole."

"Come on. Let's go."

"Where?"

"You'll see."

Vanessa rolled her eyes. She remembered how much his commands infuriated her in the beginning.

But not anymore. At least, not in the same way.

She walked to the elevator, and Cole reached to grab his lighter from the table.