CHAPTER 5:

"Let's get going Y/N. Let's not be late," Claire chuckles. As we rode our bikes to school, I kept thinking about that letter. Should I really tell Claire? Should I confront Jim? That is if he's here... As I and Claire arrived at school putting our bikes away, I spotted Jim enter the school with Toby.

"H-Hey Claire, I'ma go talk to Jim real quick! I'll meet you inside?" Claire nods. I ran up to Jim.

"J-Jim!" I call out his name. Jim stops and turns around with his bike. Toby then greets me as I walk past him.

"Morning Toby!" I smile back. I then walk up to Jim.

"H-Hey, Y/N!" Jim says nervously. I raise a brow. "W-What's up?" Should I confront him? Should I ask him about what he meant?

"I-" Shoot, what am I going to say!? "You didn't run into Ms. Janeth yet, did you?" I say instead. Alright well, I guess I'll ask about it later then.

"Is she mad I couldn't make it to rehearsal yesterday? Something kinda came up..." Jim chuckles, "Steve filled in. That's what understudies are for, right?" I sigh,

"Uh, you haven't heard? Steve isn't the understudy anymore. You are." I say as I start to walk past him. I then start walking backward facing him but walking into the school.

"She's tired of you never showing up, so she made Steve Romeo."

"What- Come on! But I memorized all my lines!" Jim adds.

"Doesn't matter, Ms. Janeth is on the warpath for you. I'd watch out." I say as I start walking into the school. Gosh, this sucks. I totally forgot about that until just now. I'm sorry Jim... "I wish I could've played in the play with you," I mutter.

~~

I waited outside of the school for Claire, but still no Claire. I sigh. "Where is that girl? I thought we were going to get lunch together." I mutter to myself. How am I going to ask Jim about the letter? I still don't get it... I then see Jim walking out of the school. Oh, maybe I can invite him over!

"Hey! I see you survived Ms. Janeth's 'Math Class of Doom'" I chuckle, as I say to Jim.

"And now, she's given me a mountain of homework I hardly understand." I raise a brow.

"Is that even aloud? Shouldn't you be getting the same amount of homework as everybody else?" I said tilting my head.

"I have no idea..." I'll ask him now! Inviting of course. I-It's not like I'm asking him out-right?

"You know, I did honors algebra last year and I was pretty okay at it." I give Jim a comforting smile. "What if... you came by my place for a study sesh?" I tuck a hair behind my ear.

"Wow! Really?" Jim says, surprised. "W-Why would you do that? I screwed up your play." Jim stammers.

"Promoting Steve Romeo wasn't your idea. And plus, Claire wanted me in this play, so I'm doing this for her. And, honestly, I'd rather be on stage with you. Even if you are a total flake." I nudge the boy's arm, chuckling.

I then spot Claire coming out from one of the doors. "Soo, I'll see you at six?" I say looking at Jim. He nods.

"Yeah! See you at Six." He smiles. I then run up towards Claire and catch up with her.

"So I saw you talking with Jimmy boy over there," Claire smirks.

"Oh, I was just inviting him over-"

"Oh really now?"

"Claire!" I exclaim as I playfully hit her arm. She chuckles, "Sorry, sorry. Keep going?" I sigh.

"I said that I'd help him out later tonight, for a study sesh."