6

I wasn't quite sure how long the laughs vibrated off the concrete filled backyard, while Sterling and I sat there. I know I said he was glaring at me, but I couldn't help but glare right back at him.

It was like there was an invisible line of energy connecting us, and I wasn't sure which end of the line housed the most dislike.

But, I couldn't figure out why there was dislike at all, from his end. My end... well, who could blame me for the dislike that bloomed from mine? He had insulted me before even saying hello. He had tried to twist his words, and when he apologized, he didn't even remember my name.

But what the fuck did I ever do to him?

It was Sterling who broke our line-of-dislike first. He did it suddenly, flicking his grey eyes towards my sister. I watched with a sense of annoyed, faint intrigue as he plastered an unbothered smile on his lips, like a second ago he hadn't just been hate-fucking her sister with those same eyes.

"Is that right, Daze? Making fun of your bestie," he said calmly, his voice sounded playful. He brought his hands to his chest, imitating a hit to the heart. "That hurts. It hurts, Daze."

"Dahlia was kidding," Daisy giggled out, through she was evidently still enjoying the situation. She shot me a pointed look with her eyes as she spoke. "Right, Dahlia?"

Sterling raised his eyebrows, just slightly. He looked back at me, but I could tell this time, he didn't want to.

I didn't hesitate. "Not really," I said bluntly. And his eyes went dark again.

Good.

"I think she's telling the truth, man," Teddy half laughed, half yelled out. "She seems very honest, this one. I think we should trust her."

"Hmm," Sterling was looking back at Daisy, and she must have seen something in his playful eyes that I didn't.

"No," Daisy let out in a laugh, before her voice turned into a shriek between giggles. "No, no, no. No!"

"I just can't let that slide," Sterling responded, chuckling right along with her. I was left in confusion as I watched them. I was trying to figure them out. I was trying to figure their relationship out. Usually, such a thing wouldn't be hard for me.

But I was stumped.

Sterling suddenly grabbed both of her ankles as he stood up, pulling her with him. Daisy was trying to breathe through her laughter as she viciously shook her head, but she didn't seem able to make words form.

When he was close enough to her, he let go of her ankles, grabbing her by the arms instead as he swiftly pulled her over his shoulder.

"Sterling!" Daisy howled out, with a faux sense of terror, "put me down!"

"After you just made fun of me? Not a chance," Sterling replied, as he easily walked towards the pool. Her complete weight on top of him didn't seem to make a difference to him at all.

"Help!" Daisy lifted her head up, looking around at her friends, and me. "Help!"

Though, as she said the words, she was still laughing. Which is why, I think, no one moved at all. I looked at the group of teenagers—they all had laughs on their lips but not one hint of confusion, as I'm sure I had. 

"Consequences," Sterling said blankly, as she reached the edge of the pool.

And then he threw her in.

I watched as Daisy fell into the water, her body tumbling and splashing around for a few seconds before her head re-emerged. She was still laughing.

It was bizarre.