Chapter Four : I didn't know!

Friday 13th September 1985

TW: fighting, violence and cutting.

It was the middle of the school day, the week was going good but Eddie wasn't talking to me in English or history and when he see me he would avoid me it kind of hurt but I just shrugged it off, me & Dustin were getting closer as siblings and I had become good friends with Jason and Chrissy.

I wasn't feeling well and needed some air so I told Jason I was going to head to the woods because I didn't feel too good, he nodded to acknowledge what I was saying and I headed off as I started walking through I see a bench "who puts a bench in the middle of nowhere" I mutter to myself as I sat down at it crossing my arms on the table resting my head on them.

I heard a few branches snap I whip my head up thinking it was Jason but I see Eddie. "Eddie?!" I say shocked that he was standing there. "Oh y/n sorry I didn't realise I'll go" he says as he turns around to walk off.

"Do you hate me?" I say nervously incase he did and he was going to get angry. He stopped in his tracks and turned round "hate you? Why would I hate you?" He says confused. "I don't know! You haven't talked to me since Monday morning and you avoid me all the time and it genuinely feels like you hate me and I don't know why" I say rambling nervously looking down at my hands pulling the sleeves on my jumper. "I thought you would've hated me seen as you're hanging out with Jason and his goons" he said as he starts to walk over to the bench and sat down. "What would that have to do with anything?" I say confused looking at him. "Because we're the freaks" he said calmly, hearing him saying that broke my heart for some odd reason.

"He's never said anything about you, I mean some cheerleaders have and so has some basketball players but he and that Lucas have never said anything about you and I don't really pay attention to anyone else" I said still confused on why Jason would influence me. "So why does he bully us all then huh?" He said getting slightly angry which made my head shoot down to look at my thighs "he bullies who exactly?" I said once what he said processed in my head "all of us! Me, Gareth, Jeff, Kevin, Mike and even DUSTIN!" He started to yell getting more angry at me, which made my eyes start watering "I'm sorry I-I didn't know!" I kept blinking to stop myself from crying but failed as the tears started falling down my face onto my lap.

Eddie had noticed me crying and quickly came round to the other side and started holding me and stroking my hair "I'm sorry I didn't mean to yell" he said in a calm voice trying to soothe me, it worked a little till I heard some beaches snap I whipped my head up to see Jason there. Anger started to fill me knowing he had been bullying Dustin and Eddie.
"Y/n! Did this freak hurt you?!" He yelled getting closer to Eddie "no he didn't he was comforting me" I said calming not trying to cry again. "Leave her alone freak" he says pushing into Eddie's Chest, Eddie looked at me then scoffed "whatever" he said as he got up and started to walk off "stop calling him a freak Jason" I said quickly not realising what I said but also stopping Eddie in his tracks "what did you say y/n?" Jason said took back a little.

"I said stop calling him a freak Jason." I say standing up feeling the rage pent up in me from all the abuse my dad gave me and the arguing with Eddie just then I couldn't cope. "Awh sticking up for the freak? Got a little crush there?" Jason scoffed at me "I've been hearing about your bullying Jason, I know you bully my little brother too" I say getting more angry with each word as I slowly walk over to him fists clenched. "What you going to do huh y/n?" He said as he started laughing at me, that laugh was the last straw I pushed him to the ground as I sat on top of him and started wailing on him punching him non stop, Eddie stood there and watched for a few minutes in pure shock "don't you DARE pick on my brother again do you hear me?!" I yell at Jason who spat blood at me "I said DO YOU HEAR ME?!" I yelled at the top of my lungs he nodded to communicate he understood.

Eddie had picked me up off of Jason but that beating wasn't all I was going to do "stay away from Eddie and the rest of hellfire too." I said calming he nodded again and I walked back to the school but before I did I pulled my pocket knife out and started jabbing the blunt end on my body to start forming bruises and ripped my shirt a little to make it look like he attacked me first, it wasn't the first time I've been in the situation and probably won't be the last, I quickly cut my arm a little make it look like I had cut it on the tree. Eddie just stood confused not wanting to stop me because clearly I knew what I was doing, I grabbed his arms and wrapped them round me and started falling into him and whispered in his ear "make a scene and drag me into the nurses office" he nodded as he near on dragged me through the school to the nurses office yelling at people to get out the way, Gareth see us and ran to help him carry me he asked what happened and all Eddie said was "Jason" Gareth quickly understood and helped to the nurses office.

Roughly 15 minutes after the nurse cleaned me up the principal came to see me and Eddie "care to share what happened Miss.Henderson because what Mr.Carver said is not appro-" he stopped mid sentence when he finally looked at me and say the bruises and cuts "clearly there's more to the story then what I've been told" he said as he picked up the notes the nurse had written "he attacked me sir, I was sitting in the woods as I didn't feel well and wanted some fresh air, I had told Jason where I was going and he must've followed me out because by the time I realised he was there he was trying to rip my top off me" I said starting to ball my eyes out "I couldn't help it I started hitting him I couldn't let it happen to me again I'm so sorry sir I understand if I get excluded or suspended but please don't do anything to Eddie he saved me sir!" I said crying even more, all crocodile tears but he didn't know that. He looked at Eddie for a second before sighing, he believed me but still had to give me and Eddie a weeks detention after school everyday in the library for skipping classes starting Monday.

——1239 words——